BT :( help please

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Bambino1506, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

How did you sort it in the end?

If your a gamer you can contact BT and ask them to turn off interleaving to improve your gaming.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

BT look ok if youre an Xbox Live user not sure about the PCs though, as people know I am with AOL and am quite happy with them especially while playing games online I have never had any lag (yet).

The only issue I have with them is that there browser is sh** and there spyware software can be intrusive, unless you knock it off.

I have heard Be broadband is supposed to be good

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

QFT and may I add how angry I am at their phone service (customer support I mean). I rang them the other day just to confirm my bill with them and the bloke I was speaking to went on like he didnt give a rat's a$$ about what I was saying to him. He just wanted to get me off the phone as quickly as possible. When it was Telewest, it was nowhere this bad. So yeah, bad service from Virgin Media and please sort out the speed!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

ROFL, as if I didn't try that :) my ping didn't change with interleaving on or off, though it's questionable if BT even turned it off even when I had to request it 3-4 times and got told repeatedly that it was off.. :)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

My ping to servers doesn't move, ever. I don't get dropped and have zero issues with them. Though I think traffic shaping might hit me, though as I'm on 2mb I can't tell :rolleyes:

P.S. I can't comment on their support part of the service as I've not had to complain. BT however, it's utterly ridiculous being transfered to India's robot support team who simply read and ask you questions from their monitors. I'm not racist, I have several Indian friends but when it comes to support lines where you can hardly understand them and them likewise trying to understand the customer, it's a disgrace. The reason I had to write a 7 page letter in the end detailing everything I found wrong with their service was because I couldn't get through to anyone who even knew what I was going on about. The most damning thing for them was how I sent the letter recorded and they still managed to lose it, I had to then spam it via email them every day for 4 days before I finally got a response.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you know what the contetion ratio is for your connection mate? If its 50:1 can you get it changed to 20:1?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I'm going to guess it was 50:1 with BT, they would never give out 20:1 connections.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It probably is then, you may be able to get 20:1 with some of the small business packages. Under £20 month with static IP etc. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

They give out 1:1 IPStream and IPClear connections. Perhaps you should go for one of those.:D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea small ones do, but I'm not with BT? I used to be... I'm with Virgin and getting my good old 20ms.. why pay stupid amounts for something I don't need? My Cable is £10 per month with XL TV £10 p/m and £10 Phone line :D

Chances of 1:1 improving my ping from Scotland is slim anyway..

11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just get yourself a decent router and you can use AOL without the software. Thats what i do mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house