BSCI/BCMSN composite vs individual tests

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by alkemyst, Nov 24, 2008.

1. alkemyst

alkemyst New Member

I have heard BSCI is a monster. I am starting to read today. What is the method most use to pass this?

I have the Cisco Press Exam and Study guides and the Portable Command Library...I am hoping to use the Boson tests again.

Is the composite the way to go? If so how to you keep current in the other material leading up to it?

Å

2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

To each their own, but most would say that the BSCI and BCMSN are the hardest.
    So normally individiaul tests are the way to go.

The composite test is both tests that cover all the material. The exam is generated from both pool banks of questions, so you have to know all the material for both subjects.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What would be the benefit of taking the Composite? If I remember correctly, it costs twice as much as the individual exams.

The Composite exam used to be important when you had to recertify your CCNP by taking the BSCI and BCMSN (or Routing and Switching) exams... but nowadays, all you have to do is take any 642-level exam and you're recertified, so there's not really much reason to go that route anymore. I'd absolutely recommend the separate BSCI and BCMSN exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. alkemyst

alkemyst New Member

I am not sure the benefit...just saw in my research many saying BCSI is pretty hard and watering it down with some switching questions makes it easier.

I will probably just take the single exams. A lot out there were also spending thousands to just pass CCNA.

5. BosonMichael

True, and a good strategy... *if* you're familiar enough with Cisco switches to make those questions easier. Otherwise, you're just risking twice as much money at once (and studying for two difficult exams at the same time). I wouldn't consider either BSCI or BCMSN to be easy...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. bluelambda

bluelambda New Member

Personally I wouldn't take the composite. The individual exams are already hard enough with an enormous (to me) amount of memory work.

I would suggest to go with a couple of Cisco Press titles. Have you also checked out IOS emulators? Dynamips - http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator helped me immensely in my preparation especially for BSCI. After studying the book material, hands-on is the way to go.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, F5 SE (LTM)
  7. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, Dynamips isn't very useful unless you're using it with a Cisco IOS image... which you cannot legally use with Dynamips.