Broadband Router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pablo1888, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Hello

I am looking for a bit of advice on what wireless Broadband Router I should purchase. I am not too familiar with this piece of hardware, therefore I am hoping someone can help me out. I want it so I can share a broadband connection with a laptop. I have seen a few different brands Linksys etc. but I am unsure what is the best for me.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Can't help you out here. I got broadband not to long ago and the modem the provider sent me has a built-in wireless AP. I just connected the modem to my switch so that my wired computers could share the connection and of course, the modem itself lets my wireless computers connect so no worries.

Having said all that, my original plan was to go with Linksys. I'd already been using Linksys equipment with my former wireless network configuration so I just figured I'd stay with the same brand. They're owned by Cisco so I figured "how bad could it be?"

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Belkin make pretty sturdy kit.

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  4. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

I am thinking about getting the Belkin Wireless Pre-N router.

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I went with a Belkin earlier this year and to be honest I wish I'd gone with Linksys or one of the others. I haven't had a problem with it as such, it does the job. I just find the configuration interface hard work and I think the logs could be a lot better. Having said that, it isn't like I'm in there every day so it doesn't really cause me much of a problem.

Phil

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I hear many good reports on Netgear kit from people at work also...

My 2€

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Just my 2p, I say DON"T go with D-link

I hav a d-link router at home here, and although I like the config capabillities, that's where it ends. I've only had it for about 6 month's, and plenty of problems sofar.

I would say go with Linksys, I've heard good things, made by Cisco, and as soon as i get a bit of extra cash, my D-link is getting replaced by one [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have a Draytek 2500 WE and I can't say any bad things about it (so far) except for the price, damn expensive.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd recommend NetGear, I use a USRobotics and haven't had any trouble with it so far its just that the config can be somewhat tricky and opening ports and setting up port forwarding was a pain in the neck as the config is not very user friendly. However I've done the same on a friends NetGear and that was so much simpler and user friendly.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...