Broadband Issue at Home

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by michael78, Aug 30, 2011.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys some thoughts on my issue at home. I'm with TalkTalk (yes I know they have a bad rep but so does all ISP's). I have been with Tiscali for ages and never had an issue with a 2.2Mbps line. Now I renewed and since then my line has been crap. I suspect they migrated my to TalkTalk. They have set my line to 3Mbps and it seems fine and doesn't drop the connection. Issue is streaming video on Youtube now stops half way and downloads do the same. If your line speed is set too high can it case this without appearing to drop the DSL link?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Talktalk are part of Opal Telecom are they not? If so then I know what you mean....

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/lounge-off-topic/23290-leaving-aol.html

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. michael78

Sparky I think they have migrated me from Tiscali to their TalkTalk system when I have renewed as it's a coincidence that my line has been crap since then :cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Michael, have you called them? Support of any ISP tend to know FA but you never know. You could have a dig at: The TalkTalk Members Forums. AFAIK all new TT customers are on ADSL2+ (up to 24MB), if you have been with them long it should not be too hard to talk them into upgrading your package.

5. michael78

I've gotten them to drop the line speed so hopefully that will fix it otherwise I suspect it's my router to blame.

6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

This made me chuckle. TalkTalk Business, TalkTalk, Tiscali, Vialtus, Daisy, Opal, Pipex etc. have bought each other so many times it's hard to keep track.

I think TalkTalk Business is what used to be Opal, but I think their domestic offerings are distinct.