British Computer Soceity (BCS)

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by fatp, Nov 2, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Is anyone on this forum a member of the BCS? (apart from ukdarkstar)

The fee of 92.00 pounds for MBCS membership seems ridiculous to me. Why is it so expensive? Thats an annual subscripition for membership aswell....

R there any special benefits of joining them or is it just for the namesake of being part of a 'professional body' ?

- fatp.

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Yes I am a member, and it can easily be worth it, although i suggest you try the AMBCS level first, as its only 45 quid (ish i think)

Also you get (not limited too)

Informed about local seminars.
    A magazine
    Full access to the sites notice boards
    Free legal advice
    A job search site
    A career training planner

And more

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think you'll find there are several members on here that are BCS members at one level or another.

I wouldn't say the fee is expensive; it's similar to that for other professional bodies.

As with all these things, you get out of it what you make of it. Speaking from my own experience it has already made a difference with jobhunting. The local meeting I went to on Friday was very good (and there's the chance of networking with other local IT people).

I have been a member of many professional bodies over the years and the BCS is comparable with all of them.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally I put the cost of the bcs membership alongside the cost of all the books and exams I've bought as well as the technet subscription. As darkstar says (I really must watch that movie again) you get out of it what you put in, but I find that apart from the social benefits it helps point out to people that you are a professional and take your profession very seriously, and wont stop learning new things.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm a Chartered member of the BCS. Like kevicho already said

To be fair the BCS is more affordable than the IET, but not as cheap as the Comptia IT Pro Association.

What you get out of any professional association is what you want to get out of them, alot with what kevicho already stated, you also get Networking opportunities and career development.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm not a member, but am (when I get my manager to sit still!) sending in the forms to become MBCS also.
    If nothing else, try it for a year, and if its not for you - stop!

Agree with the others - as with anything, you get as much out as you put in.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293