Breaking into IT & Nerves

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, havnt been on here for a couple of months, due to wedding commitments, and other scary things :eek:

Anyway, just getting back into the swing of self study A+ course, hoping to take my exams at the end of the month, money providing (just bought a house as well) Im planning to take the 601 & 602 modules.

Anyway.

I realise that as an entry level position im probably looking at more a helpdesk role for starters, idealy id love a field role.

My problem is confidence in my own IT skills when it comes to speaking about them. Practically im ok, Give me a PC, tell me the damn thing wont boot up or whatever and im on the case, sorting it out straight away.

Now when it comes to something like helpdesk, well i do slightly worry about it, i recently had a interview from a broadband company, and my mind just went awol,.

I think, this is probably due to my lack of experience within the IT sector, ive repaired plenty of peoples computers, and added devices etc, but no work experience.

Im not sure what im really looking for advice wise on here actually........but thought id post and see what people could offer.

Maybe i should give myself a big boot up the bum:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You probably need more confidence in your own ability mate.

If you can repair a PC then that’s cool, you probably go through some troubleshooting, find the fault and then fix it. The same idea can apply to a helpdesk job except you generally ask questions over the phone and then get the user to try a few things.

If it fixes the problem then it’s all good, if not the problem gets escalated to 2nd or 3rd line support.

Dealing with users is just as important as your technical skills if you want to land an entry level IT job.

Best of luck and don’t stress too much! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well theres lots of different things you could try, depends how far you want to take it really !

You can try getting as many interviews as possible, even ones you don't want just to get interview experience. You could try mock interviews with collegues, family or friends. The basic principle is the more you do something the easier it gets, like training a muscle.

You could try doing a few new things that make you talk to people you don't know, maybe start a new gym class, night class or martial art.

You could try positive visualisation or affirmations, now I know this sounds a bit bonkers but world athletes and coaches like Anthony Robbins and Paul McKenna swear by it. Combining this with a physical action makes it even more effective.

You can even take a little pressure off with silly tricks like pretending the interviewer is naked or that you don't want the job, just don't over do this ! :biggrin

The final thing is to just chill, take deep breaths, focus on your state, if you feel a bit flustered just take a couple of seconds to collect your thougths, ask for a drink if necessary.

You've done your prep, you CAN do it !

By the way I'm dead jealous of the swimming certificate, I'm pants at swimming ! :biggrin

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Like others said there are a few things you could do. But first try not be nervous as I understand its a big change but if you love it, you will do well.

Start with the basics like learning about A+ and Network+, etc. This will give you the theory behind the experience you already have. Believe it or not but since you already have experience learning entry level certification like A+ would be easier for you then for someone who never touched a computer.

The second thing is practice like sparky said do some practice with family and friends, use any resources necessary to understand how the whole helpdesk role works. We all got to start somewhere and no matter what the age is.

Plus you got us on this forum to help you out.

Just want to wish you luck with the studies and if you need any help go ahead and just post away on CF and someone will definitely help you.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Best thing you can do is to get out there and do it... and prove to yourself that you can do it. Odds are high that you're simply defeating yourself for no good reason. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am quite similar to you.

I have fixed PCs for mates, built them in the past.

But I have a confidence problem too.

I dont know why but when it comes to interviews even if I know the person interviewing my mind goes blank,

I am hopefully taking my a+ exams or at least one of them next month and am trying to be positive about it, test can do my head in too.

I did some practice tests over the weekend from transcender and proprofs I aced the 601 and 602 with proprofs and got 80% with transcender. So I dont know which I should go by, so this is causing some confidence issues too.

But I am attempting to stay calm and keep positive thats all you can do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Cheers guys, its gave me a bit of a boost.

Its silly really, i deal with hundreds of customers face to face each day, and im fine no nerves, ive helped teach english and computers to a liberian school kid and i was fine:blink

I think part of it is my current job, i feel completly demoralised in what i do, and feel a bit stuck in a rut. Anyway last night, ive tried to self-motivate myself, revamped my CV, realised that the lack of recent job replies may have something to do with the wrong phone number being attached..oops:

and now im ready to roll.

Decided today, no matter what, im MR annoyingly happy and fully optimistic for the day, so if anyone is about in barnsley today and pops down to their local supermarket, you may mind at least one happy staff amonngst the drained mindless zombies:p

8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

I'm in a similar position as you inly I've just got my first IT job on a helpdesk. I'm soo wrried that I'm going to just flub on the phone and not be able to help anybody but remember that Helpdesk positions are just first line help and so the level of stuff you are expected to help with is less than the guys at 2nd and 3rd line.

Interviews I find are the easy bit but I realise that its not the same for everyone. I just go in their being confident that I'm the person they want. Just believe that actually the interview is a formality, they only have to interview because they have to but you know secretly that your a shoe in. If they ask questions that you don't really understand just go "Well I've not had much direct experience with the concepts your discussing but I do understand the general prinicple". Seriously it works. The interview I had for my current job asked me if I knew much about VPN's and certainly networking apps and I said pretty much what I wrote above and they nodded their heads and wrote nice things down despite the fact that all I really said was "I've no idea what you on about but I've heard people use the words Virtual Private Network before".

Confidence is key, if you put across that your the guy for the job in just your manner and way of speaking then what you actually say can be the honest truth.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  9. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Nobody can undestand you better than me i suppose. I stutter so is very hard for me speak to other people and i become nervous very easily.
    Funny that when i have to speak about my job, for ex. to a customers, or about a new project. I become very calm and relaxed.
    I know is hard when you say to yourself "i have to calm down" and you can't do it.
    So just think about all the stuff you know and are in your head, and remember YOU ARE THE TECHNICIAN.
    Take your time and show that you are able to think. Normally if you start your answer repeating the question helps you to focus the topic.
    For example if the question is: What do you know about vpn ?
    you should start : Well what i know about vpn or virtual private network ....
    All the best
    Nico

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This entire post is absolutely dead-on accurate, particularly with regards to honesty about experience. Good interviewers know when you're trying to "tap dance" your way through a technology question. If you don't know the answer, say so. That actually gets you bonus points on my interview sheet. Honesty is valuable. I'd rather an employee come up and tell me that they don't know why the network is down so that I can "call for reinforcements" rather than them lie to me and tell me that they've got it under control and it'll be back up in 15 minutes... and then it's NOT up in 15 minutes.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Again thanks guys, ive took some very positive notes from this. I think similar to others its the phone bit that worries me, funny enough nico, i too had a bad stutter when i was a kid, then a really bad speech impediment and now i have a bad habit of mumbling or speaking too quick at times.

But this week, im thinking positiive, confidence and control is the key:biggrin

One more quick request.........

BAsed on the killer CV topic, ive revised my own first page, considering my last one was erm an essay to say the least.

anyway as people who dont know me from adam, can i have abit of advice, is this first page ok? am in steering the front page on the right direction or do i need to rewrite the page?

--------------------------------------------------------

A versatile and dedicated individual who has several years experience of customer service, as well as knowledge of installation and troubleshooting PC hardware and Microsoft applications. Now seeking a rewarding opportunity to enter the IT sector to expand his knowledge and make an impact as a PC technician.

IT skills Include:

• Installation and use of Microsoft OS Systems and Applications, Windows 95, 98, XP, & Office.
    • Installation of PC Hardware & implementation of ESD safety procedures.
    • Troubleshooting of common user PC hardware and software faults and how to resolve situation.
    • Understanding & Implementation of Basic HTML.

Customer Service Skills
    • Ability to listen, and showing patience and understanding when needed.
    • Experience of dealing with customer complaints in a calm and patient manner
    • Experience of following up customer calls, to ensure customer queries and needs are met and followed through..
    • Ability to understand and implement actions required, and ask questions accordingly if needed.

Achievements.

• Developed strategy for the layout of stockroom, enabling staff to obtain stock in an efficient and orderly manner, thus providing a more efficient service for customers and allowing staff to complete transactions hastier. .
    • Written beginners Ebook, to buying through the online auction site “eBid”, for family & friends.
    • Taught on one-to-one basis English as a second language to non-native primary age child, thus helping to aid the development of his English speaking skills..

12. Sparky

Reads well mate, perhaps change "several years" to the actual amount though.

Several could be 2 or 20 years! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

I know where you are coming from. I am looking to break into the IT industry also as I am moving from a completely different sector and have very little prior experience to show. I am nervous also but the main thing that keeps me going is simply having faith in myself and my abilities. It is definitely one of the most important things to have when tackling anything new. Best of luck, you can do it!.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  14. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

You'll find that just getting a job will give you a decent confidence boost. New surroundings, people, skills, it all helps.

15. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Im much the same as the OP
    If I hadnt got out of Safeway and done my apprenticeship then id have to check i hadnt written the OP actually :lol:
    Im very worried about the prospect of getting a help desk job because i find it really difficult to answer questions on the spot, by that i mean questions that could have a lot of possibilities or that im unsure of the answer on, the tip above about being honest is a good one that i will definately implement in an interview situation should i need to.
    I do have experience of trying to instruct customers to carry out a procedure over the phone and 9 times out of ten they say they're doing what your asking them to and arent actually doing it, they guess what your going to tell them to do and then dont take in what you actually ask. That would be a concern for me, granted my experience is mainly trying to explain to people how to pair up a phone to their cars bluetooth or reset their tyre warning but should still be relevant.

As it stands for me I want to get this A+ mastered, i plan to read the book through first, then do some of the practice tests and see how I do then recap on subjects I was unsure of questions on, get applying for jobs and get the tests done, I know things dont always work out to plan so am keeping one eye open for local jobs in the mean time.

16. Sparky

Remember you can put someone on hold while you need to check something to try and help answer their question, or even ask a workmate.

Don’t stress about having to talk users through things, in many cases you can get remote access to their PC\laptop so you can see their screen and get a better understanding of the problem. 8)

17. Markyboyt

That would help a lot.
    ive tried doing that before with my mate but couldnt get it to work (using windows xp and msn messenger)
    hardest part is visualising what options they have to try and tell them what to click, if i have the same program then i try and open it to tell him. Is usually home hub NAT settings faults with Xbox live damn things lol

18. Sparky

Using remote assistance with MSN is usually blocked by a software firewall.

Don’t worry about that kinda thing in a helpdesk job though, the network support guys have probably configured an app for you to use that isn’t blocked by firewalls etc. 8)

19. Markyboyt

Can it be got around in firewalls? i tried closing both nortons to no avail.
    Somebody my stepdad works with is trying to configure his router again for Xbox settings but he is a total novice so if i could remote access his computer i could do it for him without a home visit

20. Sparky

Depending on what version of Norton it is you need to make sure the whole thing is switched off, in some cases it might just be the AV when it should be the firewall. Like I said probably best to switch off the whole thing if you can just to get the connection up and running.

Also make sure to reconfigure any security software on your PC as well. 8)