Breaching out from EPOS helpdesk, advice needed !

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Parky, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Parky

Parky New Member

Hi guys.

For the past few years i've been working on a EPOS helpdesk, the basic premise of it is remote support of an EPOS application (via PCAW) that runs on Server 2003 & XP/NT.

It's supporting the the EPOS application itself though which is basic and completley bespoke, the only other parts being checking event viewer and services on servers and basic back office support such as printers and desktop issues, password resets (again for bespoke websoftware)

Other dutys involve liasing out hardware faults, internet failures e.t.c to appropriate providers.

I'm aiming to get into a genuine windows first line role and progress up the ladder as i've allways had a good intrest and general IT ability, but evreywhere i look people want experience / qualifactions

My bespoke support/customer services role dosent seem to be accounting for much.

The only real interview i have had was for an IBM Tivoli 1st line support role which i managed to get to the 2nd interview stage for but failed to attain

I've just started self studying my 70-680, is this the right way to go ? from some posts i've read i've been told it will be useless for the basic jobs im applying for.

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

70-680 is the first of the enterprise desktop support tech exams ... I reckon that's about correct. Most people would have done the MCDST in the past, but now since that doesn't exist, that's the one to go for (unless you do the A+, N+ etc) ... depends how much you have used Windows 7.

3. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I started out on a helpdesk with Fujitsu looking after the EPOS systems for the Post Office about 3 years ago now. When i moved onto my first proper IT job i had the network + and the MCDST so i agree with ade1982 the 70-680 is a good cert to get. Remember obtaining certifications also shows you have the capacity and willingness to study which employers like.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  4. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Parky!!!
    If this is who I think it is then I used to work with you! Its Steve mate!
    My answer to you is similar to above as I have said before it would definitely be in your favour to get basic certs, I would go for either, A+ and both of the windows 7 exams so that you become a DST, so 70-685 and 680, or leave the A+ and get N+ depending on if you are interested in networking rather than technical/practical IT based around how computers work (A+)

I can categorically say that it raised my profile by being able to add these onto my CV, made me appear more serious about IT as a career, got me more interviews and ultimately progressed my career so Id say go for it.
    And having done the EPOS job you've done should definitely help you with having worked to SLA's dealing with people over the phone with technical issues etc. it all helps so dont forget to try and use this experience.

There is a lot of people wanting to work in IT so competition is fierce but you shouldnt have too much trouble with experience you have and a couple of good basic certs mate.

Good luck dude

Steveo

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

This is what most helpdesk managers want to hear, someone who has the basic (or should I demonstrated) customer service skills. Technical skills can be taught, if you have a willing pupil, so A+, N+, 680 are all good to have on your CV at 1st line level.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Ya definitely agree with above, I’m N+ & MCDST myself & have starting studying for 70-680. I’m in 1st line service desk role ATM, plan is to do this for some time while looking for a more desktop support 1st/2nd line based role, all the best.

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri