Braodband deals

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by twizzle, May 6, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok, I've just obtained my MAC from my current ISP freedom 2 Surf. I've decided to change from them as thier service is getting slowly worse. Keep getting net disconnections 6 or 7 times a day (though it usually reconnects within 30 secs). Every time i've called to report a fault, they tell me alls ok so must be my extension cable, then all of a sudden no moer drop outs for a few weeks. After maybe a month i get dropouts again. So decided to move. (a pity really as the woman i spoke to on sales to obtain my MAC was really pleasent, even wishing my to have an enjoyable day, and apologetic for the drop outs!)

So what i want to know form you guys is, who in your opiion is the better ISP (in th UK), What i'm after is an 8meg service, with unlimited uncappped downloads, pref static IP, uses a router not modem and isnt too expensive.

I've looked at BT, Orange and Sky, but what would you recommend?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am going to change to sky after my AOL BB subscription runs out, I would do it now but there'll be a fee and I'm not paying a fee to crappy AOL.

Sky BB is supposed to be good.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Try Eclipse Internet. The service is ok, not many problems. Free static IP if you want it, only download limit is during peak hours. Off peak no limits.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. NightWalker

AOL :ohmy

5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I should also mention i'm looking for an ISP that can also provide a phone package with the broadband.

Sky looks ok but they charge and extorsionate setup charge as and existing Sky TV customer.

Eclipse is looking good. How have you found thier service so far Nightwalker? and which package are you using?

6. greenbrucelee

I was told it was free :blink if you are an existing Sky customer.

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Its free if you take the Sky braodband max is not :-

Standard set-up for existing customers: Standard set up is £60 for existing customers taking any Sky box and combination of Sky products, or £0-60 for existing customers taking Sky Broadband alone (Base - £60/Mid or Connect - £30/Max - £0).

Small print from thier site. Same as Sky HD, i was told that to get it would be £250 fro the box and £60 installation fee as and existing customer. And if i bought the box elsewhere it would still be £60 as that was to cover the gaurntee of the box!! So is it an installation fee or a gurantee fee?

8. NightWalker

I am on the Evolution Option 1 package. I only have broadband with them, not phone. You can switch between static and dynamic IP by logging in to their website, the peak usage cap is 20GB (between 6pm and midnight I think) a month, no cap off peak. Maybe once a month I don’t get a very good connection and have to switch my router off for 20 minutes, but overall its pretty good for the money. The speed can fluctuate a bit, but I think that’s more to do with BT than Eclipse.

9. greenbrucelee

Sounds like a rip off.