Brain Dumps

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by cavey76, Jul 12, 2008.

1. cavey76

cavey76 Bit Poster

Chaps, Pardon the ignorance but what exactly is or constitutes a brain dump? Is it pass papers or exam Qs with written and explained answers.

Only a newbie hence the dumb question.

:rolleyes:

cavey

Certifications: MCSE Server 2003, MCTS OCS2007 R2, CCNA
    WIP: CCNA Voice, Sharepoint
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Here we go...

:pepsi:popcorn

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

opening a can of worms there mate

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. cavey76

cavey76 Bit Poster

Sorry i didn't realise it was a controversial subject on here. From the few forums i have scanned since signing up it seems that everyone is in agreement that braindumps are bad thing. So really just wanted to know what they are.

For example, Just passed 270 myself, I am being paid for by work to do this, hence had training materials available from Global Knowledge(our training partner), CBT Nuggets, used by another member of my team, along with MS work book and Exam cram work book. I got a Transcender practice exam license about a week before the exam just to give me some exam practice

While i was doing this i mentioned my training to other colleagues outwith my team and the general consesus was "oh just download all that stuff from bit torrent etc!"......To be honest i didn't feel i really needed anything over and above what i had, that and me being a lazy booger means i didn't but i am just curious.....Is anything hokey from the web a "brain dump" or is there some other mythical training resource that differs from what i have listed above?

maybe when i get deeper than page 3 of any of the forums i'll see some more of the previous controversy.

:oops:
    Cavey the innocent!

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

In the IT industry, a 'brain dump', usually spelled as a compound word braindump, refers to material that has been memorized, or captured electronically by means of a small device such as a PDA or mobile phone with a built in camera, from an IT certification and re-created to provide an almost exact replica of the exam, thus violating most but not all NDA agreed to prior to the administration an exam.

See wiki here.

It depends... School's, colleges and Universities will give out past paper's (I'm assuming that is what you mean instead of pass papers) as examples of the types of questions that you might get. They can give it out as those papers are only valid for that one time only. However if you're refering to vendor's that produce and guarantee 100% Pass exam then "yes" they are braindumps.

As for exam questions with written/explained answers, again it depends... If the vendor uses actual live exam questions in their product then "yes" it is a braindump. If they product their own material to test the person's knowledge on the subject, instead of producing questions and answers for people to memorise then "no" they are not.

One site you may want to bookmark: Certguard. You can do a search on the vendor to ensure that you use only legit material.

There are no dumb questions, only answers that you don't know yet.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

Here's a definition

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. cavey76

cavey76 Bit Poster

many thanks for the clarification wagnerk and grim!