Brain Dumps - counter-measures

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by DaveyB1981, Jun 23, 2009.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ah man I wish I wasn't sitting here in my Windows 2003 Server boxies with my XP Rocks T-Shirt on drinking coffee out of my Billy G mug . . . . . . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

I guess this is something thats going to trundle on and on especially with firms using recruitment agencys more and more. I saw an ad the other week for somebody that knew oracle,.net.asp citrix,CIW,Linux with a database/messaging/security background desirable and had a ccnp was also an mcse and C++ would be adventageous salary upwards of 15K. I mean ffs talk about s***e and plate spinning and after all that you would probably go into to make the tea or level 1 support. I mean I am currently unemployed but am going to uni in september but am I going to bother to go bust my butt to get this cert or that cert? ER Nope! I am going to plod on get my exchange so I can add messaging to my MCSA get my ccent/ccna simply because I like networking can i design a webpage nope can I program apart from a few basic vb scripts? Nope am I bothered nope. will I succeed with a career in networking hopefully. I would rather be able to do what I do well than satisfy some managing director who wants to throw peanuts at a performing chimp.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  3. gurusapprentice

Sooooooo... your saying I shouldn't get my MCSA jacket cap and mug then?? They have come down a lot in price and the coat does look quite smart

4. gurusapprentice

Ence I just love your dns smiley lol pmsl I know that feeling!! However just wait till you meet exchange if you go for messaging if you can imagine the complexities of trying to get your head round dns x it by 10 and thats just the opening paragraph of the book lol.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Still, that wouldn't fix braindumping. There are simulations on some of Cisco's and Microsoft's exams... and there are braindumps that tell you which simulations to expect and how to pass them. The CCIE lab exam is almost entirely practical... yet there are braindumps out there for it, believe it or not.

They don't have to know that you used a braindump; they merely have to suspect you of cheating. Look at the links I provided above to find the methods they use to build a strong case against dumpers. That said... this isn't a court of law where they would have to have incontrovertible proof; after all, it's their certification program - they can certify and decertify whomever they want.

I **have** heard of people who have been called by Microsoft to give them a follow-up question-and-answer session to determine whether someone cheated or was really that good... so I know for a fact that they take action. However, to date, I haven't heard of a single person be unjustly decertified.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonMichael

Of course they got it all for free. Don't you get free techie stuff? :biggrin

I wear my Boson shirts quite often... also free.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. BosonMichael

You think not? Those conversations DO happen.

The ratio of braindumpers compared to non-braindumpers is, unfortunately, pretty darn high. :(

8. BosonMichael

[​IMG]

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Why do people get offended when I offer to 'dump on there brains?'

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Fixed.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

OK, I missed the week of school where we learnt about where, were, there and their.

It was a lovely holiday to Majorca, Craigie goes off into a haze...

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

How to fix braindumpers

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

at least you were there for 'they're' :biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

On a related note, for those of us that are non-premium, there is a lovely TK banner on the forum today.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The whole concept of 'cheating' is interesting really.
    We've covered a lot of it on these forums, but there's a lot more of it out there.

I was reading a while back about the problems in the UK where people send others to take their driving tests for them. That really got me wondering.
    Right, you need a license in order to drive your car. I'm assuming that these people can drive well enough not to pile their souped up Polos into a wall every time they go out. Yet they feel that they need someone else to do the test for them? Weird.

Then there was that thing where you could buy certification certificates with YOUR OWN NAME ON, without even having to take the exam. Even weirder.

Then I get these emails from Nigeria offering to sell me a doctorate or phd in a subject that I know nothing about. Mad. I'm assuming that a potential employer won't have their doubts raised by a badly photoshopped certificate in nuclear physics from the university of Nigeria.

Are we really so shallow that we need to cover ourselves in bunting to make it look as if we know things that we don't? Do we really need all these credentials, lapel pins and the rest, or is this some conspiracy by the global corporations to fester their logos over people's shirts and office walls?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

I would actually prefer exams where a person would test you. Practical tests ftw!

Tutor: Can you please OC this ram, having attention to the cas/ras limits ?
    Student: Ermm, how do I do that ?
    Tutor: *facepalm*

:p:twisted:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nice idea - but people moan about the cost of exams already and they're only 100 odd quid. Hardware-based practical exams would probably realistically push the price up to about £500 each - not sure how many people would be willing to pay that for an A+

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It would also probably increase the number of people taking tests for people like the driving example a couple of posts up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

I find it mad that people just think it's ok and accept it as the norm. I was speaking to some guys at my work, telling them i had an exam on monday, and one of them said "you just gonna braindump it?" and another one told me to go on t*** k***, i tried to explain to him that it is cheating, and he honestly thought there was nothing wrong with it. Some people are just retarded. It's must go on so much now that people just accept that's what everyone does.

It really does piss me off.

We had new intakes last week and one of them was shadowing me, this guy is A+,N+ and MCDST qualified and when i asked him to ping a workstation he was clueless. I couldnt believe it.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291
  20. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

You might wanna take out the BD reference :)

I'm sure the person who is shadowing you will be on a '3 month trial' period or something similar.. in which the management will be able to decide whether he's competent or not. I remember when I got my first proper IT based job, and even though I knew how to do things.. if somebody asked me to do something- I had never been in an IT environment before so the questions felt quite foreign and I didn't have much confidence.. in which case I asked them to tell me how/confirm it anyway rather than doing something they didnt want me to do!

Good luck with the exam on monday mate!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)