Brain dumps.... again!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, May 24, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I encountered another IT “pro” that has used braindumps to gain certification. This guy has everything from A+, MCSE and CCNA on his C.V and showed me the “study guides” he was using, not the usual pdfs from TK but this was something else. I was told they were “actual exam questions” while I was pretending to be interested. :blink

Anyways to get to the point the thing that makes my blood boil over the whole thing is why the hell doesn’t M$ do something about this? Surely they could put some more resources into making extra questions for the exams or make the whole thing simulations? If it makes the exam harder then I’m all for it, there are too many people cheating their way through certs and its turning the cert game into a farce as far as I’m concerned. :x

Back to the books tomorrow I guess but it’s always in the back of my mind that other people have cheated to get the MCSE cert which in some respects has accelerated their careers! :x

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There are lots of them out there Sparky. It is a shame really, I didn't realise before I put all the effort into gaining my certs that so many do cheat. I guess they are after the pay increases and not the knowledge. For me, as I do work for myself, it was all about the knowledge and that nobody can take away.

I think the problem is too big, much like graffiti, nobody likes it but there it is wherever you go in the world, someone will be trying to spoil it :(

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The thing is sparky, the cheaters in the end will get found out when they have their "knowledge" put to the test when something goes wrong at work.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I had a phone call from a very well known training provider yesterday,nothing at all related to braindumping,but I was offered a guaranteed N+ pass in 7 days,or your money back!Now,while that in itself is tempting,what would I actually learn about networking in 7 days?Not enough to satisfy myself that I've actually learnt the subject,digested the in's and out's and completed a course thoroughly.

My 2 penneth.

Oh,and braindumping is party to a criminal act i.m.o.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, you see this is not always the case. Many people who cheat actually know their subject inside out, they're simply no good at passing exams. I know people who I would call if I had a problem because I know that they're good, but I also know that they Braindumped their way through their exams.

It is difficult situation and one which is not easilly resolved, on one hand you have the companies who offer the certs saying that they are cracking down, but on the other hand they make money from people taking exams so they don't want to crack down too hard do they?

Then there are the people who need to hold certs to keep their jobs, they may be good at their jobs, but unless they provide the companies with the right ticks in the boxes they could be out on their arse. If you have the pressure of work and know the subject that you are getting tested on well would you take the risk of failing?

I'm not going all pro braindumps on you here guy's (I promise!), but there are people out there who will always have an excuse for needing to pass. It is unfortunately the world that we live and work in today that drives people to cheat. As is commonly the case these days you have to put number one first, businesses usually do.

8)

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nothing much you can do.. but pi**es me off is that i know lots of guys who got their MCSE in 6 months and working as sys admins already.. im still in support and struggling to finish. My turn will come - i know and trust me when it does ill grab it and know i got there with nobody's help!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

good points simon.. the market has become so competitive and difficult to get into and pressure is always there for staff to be at its best...

8. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Even if you passed the exams, it does not necessarily mean you are good on the subject.

On the contrary, even if you failed, you might do very well in the real world. It is the fact that there are way too many trick questions out there which depends on how smart/clever you are (and not how skilled you are or how much knowledge/experience you have), so pick the most right answer, out of 4 other potentially correct answer (just not the best one!)

So I can agree with Simon on his understanding of why some people would still cheat slightly even when they are already experts, it's only to do with the bloody tricky exams.

These people who used braindumps to "assist" passing their exams, will still do well in their jobs because they already know the stuff, it just makes it more like a 100% win-win situation.

I do not support braindumps, but this is just how I see some people.

Personally I think even if I've achieved a low passing score, I have still passed it with my own power w/out b.dumps and it's only a matter of "tweaking" with real world experience.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

funny enough i have never thought of braindumpers like that... :blink

10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good points Simon.

However, if the people taking the exam have a problem, then why don't they get a book out on exam techniques and study techniques? Better still why doesn't the Exam board offer a practical exam? If students are no good at theory?

I don't agree with Braindumps, however after reading your post I can see why they do it and sympathise.

Monkey 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hmm it's a tricky one really, in a way I can see the reasoning behind the argument that some 'experts' do it just to get past the trick questions, but it's still a shakey justification in my opinion.

Having taken two MCP's now I feel that I am qualified to ... answer MS's questions well. I did learn some things I didn't know before when studying for the 290 but I got quite allot of questions wrong (on Transcender) when using my judgement and real world experience (of which I have allot on Server 2003).

It's nice to have the quals, and I think it will help a 'little' in the future when job hunting, but experience is what really counts in my book.

I know I have drifted off point slightly, so I'll conclude with ... a cheat is a cheat no matter how they try and justify it. An expert on Server 2003 who braindumped their way to an MCSE is no less of cheat than one who knows bugger all and got there the same way.

There is a simple formula to passing any exam that doesn't involve cheating, and it's .... work hard ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Sparky

I agree there are many reasons why people use braindumps.

However there is no excuse for cheating, what if I cheated to get my degree? I would be in deep sh*t if anyone found out however for some reason cheating to get the MCSE cert doesn’t seem to be a big deal, not good! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The diference is in the way that they are assessed though, a degree takes the form of exams, course work, presentations, etc. it would be very dificult to cheat your way through all of them!

That is where the problem lies with IT certs, they are a single method of assessment. I personaly can't wait to see the new Microsoft Certifed Architect program come into effect, as it promises things such as peer assessment! 8)

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

But how long have Brain dumps been around?
    When did they first appear?

Monkey 8)

15. Print Screen

Print Screen New Member

Sorry I'm new here so could someone please explain a braindump.

Certifications: CCNA, ECDL, PCM
    WIP: A+ MCSE
  16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Putting it plain and simple - it's cheating. I'm not sure how it works because like you I didn't know Braindumps existed until I came to CF. If you select the search and type braindumps in you find various posts on this subject.

Monkey :biggrin

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Braindumps are illegal material found on the Internet. They contain the real answers to the actual questions. People buy or obtain these things in order to pass IT certification exams.

Microsoft has successfully closed down and taken legal action against a couple of these dump sites but the problem is still very widespread.

Braindumps are not your friend because firstly they are considered cheating by those like me that have studied the subject matter properly and secondly because passing the exam should not be your one and only goal. It is the knowledge gained whilst studying that is valuable to you and any potential employer not the piece of paper. A braindumper, unless he/she has a wealth of practical experience will be spotted within minutes in an interview situation.

18. Sparky

Yeah, it would be difficult to cheat your way through a degree although you do hear about people buying essays on the internet!

I find myself in a tough situation. The ‘IT Pro’ I referenced at the start of this thread is actually a guy I work with. Recently he was given a project to finish off (the engineers were called away to another project) and basically he couldn’t complete the project as there are a few outstanding issues. Anyways to get to the point I *think* I know how to finish of the project but why should I help him out? :mad

If it was any of the other guys I work with I would gladly send an email suggesting a few things and even offer to go on-site to lend a hand and put my own work on hold. I don’t like working in that kind of environment but if the guy has blatantly cheated to gain certification and is happily getting £10k more pay than me then I find it difficult to help him out.

Any thoughts? :blink

P.S Just for the record if we were on the same pay then I would still feel the same.

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's interesting Sparky that in the real world you are reluctant to help out your colleagues whereas on an Internet forum, speaking to virtual strangers, you are happy to share your knowledge. It is a tough call but I have never found that helping people solve problems has held me back. On the contrary, it is because I freely give my knowledge, which I paid for, to anyone that asks, that I have always been quite successful and one of the higher earners in any profession I have worked in. I guess you have to make the judgement based on how much you like this guy. If it were someone I detested then maybe I would stay shtum :twisted:

20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I can see where Sparky's coming from. It would stick in the the throat a bit to help someone out who's more senior, supposedly qualified but doesn't seem to have a clue ...

Cut his brake cable's while he's struggling on the server Sparky, it's the only solution really. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada