Boyz night out

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Aug 6, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think that's what Phoenix referred to our little adventure last night when we were making plans via PM.

For those of you who don't know...I needed a "movie partner" to go see "The Dark Knight" with and Ryan was up to seeing it for the third time. I don't work that far from a large movie complex where the film is showing and Ryan, currently being unemployed, has time on his hands.

We agreed to meet at about 5:30 p.m. at a coffee shop near the theater (6:30 p.m. showing). Naturally, I got there early and so cooled my heels on a bench in the common area near the coffee place. Temperatures were in the mid 90s F but a dry heat, so I didn't mind.

I finally called his cell, not realizing that he was walking towards me in line of sight. Fortunately, I'd met him before, so it took away some of the anxiety of having him arrive without me recognizing him.

He grabbed something to drink in the coffee shop but, anticipating a 2 1/2 hour movie where I didn't want to miss a thing, I decided to abstain. Ryan's a great communicator, so he filled me in on what he's been up to lately. Poor guy has a tough time tolerating even the dry heat of a high desert environment (London doesn't prepare you for weather in the American west).

We chatted away and by the time I checked the time, we were only 9 minutes away from the start time. I wisely hit the rest room before going into the theater and we were there in plenty of time for the commercials and such.

***NOTE: There are spoilers here...you've been warned.***

The movie was very intense...even compared to the first one, but it wasn't quite as "intimidating" as I expected. That's probably because I'd heard so much about the film ahead of time. I might have been more surprised if I'd seen the film before hearing much about it.

Since "Gotham" was filmed in Chicago this time (rather than a CGI Gotham), you get the feeling of Batman operating in a real, urban, environment. On the one hand, it takes away some of the "mystery" of Gotham, but on the other hand, it adds a since of reality to the Batman mystique.

There were plenty of surprises and plot twists to be had, so the film does keep you guessing. It was a little surprised about the whole "Wayne manor" thing, but then again, it makes sense that something so large and complex wouldn't reappear so soon after being completely destroyed.

The Joker. What can I say. Ledger nailed it. Not completely, but there are so many different versions of the Joker legend, even in comic book/graphic novel form, that there's room for flexibility. I must say, he's the best Joker I've ever experienced. Scary, but not so much that can't stand the scenes he's in. He's completely random, so the unpredictability is refreshing. He *really* frustrates Batman more than anything. The guy is a master at redirection and you need to pay attention to everything Joker does in order not to miss what he's up to.

I was a little surprised at the amount of mayhem the Joker was able to pull off, especially considering how much explosive material he would have had to secretly squirrel away in the places he destroys or attempts to destroy.

I must say, I was surprise, and pleasantly so, at how the passengers on the two ferries were managed...especially the "prisoner" ferry. It was completely unanticipated and very human in its response. There really were no stereotypes here.

No one is completely clean in the movie. Gordon and Dent come the closest and one of the main points of the movie is how Dent is the "White Knight" who operates in counterpoint to Batman's "Dark Knight". Ultimately, the film hinges on the rise and fall of Harvey Dent.

While Wayne and Dent are opposites along one dimension, Batman and the Joker are opposites and synonyms at the same time. They're both "freaks", both operate outside of the "normal" rules of society, but Batman walks the edge, while the Joker (to use his own words) is an "agent of chaos". Unlike the prior films of the comics, the Joker doesn't want to kill Batman...they "complete each other". The world wouldn't be "fun" for Joker without a Batman to compete against.

Potentially, Dent could have replaced Batman as Gotham's savior...a savior that doesn't need a mask to be a protector and defender. Without Dent, Gotham still needs its Dark Knight and the existence of Batman necessitates the existence of the Joker. Remember what Gordon said at the end of "Batman Begins" about "escalation".

The end of the movie was a little surprising to me in that it creates a path for the Batman that doesn't necessarily occur in other parts of the legend. The set up for a third movie was obvious but without Ledger to return to his role as the Joker, it's hard to imagine another villain who could be so completely captivating and who could be an equal challenge to Batman.

Suspense, mystery, tragedy, scandal, and cover up. They are all part of this movie. It's less a film about a comic book hero and more a modern crime film that just happens to include some extraordinary characters.

After the movie, Ryan and I went outside and "debriefed" about Batman...about the film, how it compared to "Batman Begins" and what could possibly happen next.

Naturally, the conversation shifted into other comic book movies such as "Iron Man" and the whole "Avengers initiative" plot that it spawned. Captain America came up as a topic, and I admit, I can't see how they'd introduce him without bringing in his World War II origins. Guess we'll see how that plays out.

I needed to at least try to get a few hours rest before work the next day, so reluctantly had to bid Ryan good bye. He mentioned that he'd never driven at night before, so I was a tad concerned that, if he got into an accident, that it would be my fault. Fortunately, by the time I got home and got online, he'd already posted so I guess he was safe and sound.

Inside, I still tend to separate Phoenix and Ryan as "personalities". One is an online presence and the other is a "real" human being. I think that has to do with the dissonance between a text-only world and actually experiencing a person with the rest of your senses. It's a unique experience for me.

Anyway, time for more coffee (I didn't sleep well...imagine that). That's my report. Ryan?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why? Was it that scary? :blink

Did you two kiss, or just hold hands? :hug

:twisted:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Consider it payback (in full) for the moobs comment. ;) :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I love you too, sweetheart. :rolleyes:

4. BosonMichael

Okay, maybe I WAS a bit jealous... :oops:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually I wrote my post from the iphone whilst sitting at Sonic on overland, so I didn't get very far, but I needed to grab some food and drink

It was indeed the first time I had driven on my own, although not the first time in the dark, just the first time without a constant reminder in my right ear to do this that and the other :)

I followed overland down to Eagle and went to get back on the freeway but missed the onramp and had to turn around in the St Lukes complex, i'm really finding it hard to see certain things in the dark round here, they seem to feel its more important to light up the mcdonalds and chevrons and leave the freeway entrance pitch black! :) made it home safely though so it can't be all bad

Was great to see you again James, its always difficult to catch up when the thing we decided to do involves us sitting in silence for two and a half hours, but hopefully meetings will be a little more frequent now I live here :)

Besides, who else is going to help me americanize my CV! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Nice read

I, too, wonder how they will top that batman. The way they left Joker alive, I think, shows that they intended to use him in the sequel but now that's pretty much out the window. I mean, who else could replace Ledger after that performance? It would be suicide for any actor.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Latest rumor (and it's just a rumor), is that the gentleman pictured below will be up to play the Riddler...
    [​IMG]

8. BosonMichael

...resume. :)

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think Johny Depp can pull it off, he's a great actor, intersting...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I had this discussion with my mate when I said how can they have joker in the next one now and he said easy, they get another actor, seems simple but I can't see it happening, they are some pretty big shoes to fill now and im not sure they could be filled, and I would imagine they wouldnt replace heath out of respect for him, not that they aren't well withing their rights to replace him should they wish

WIP: A+
  11. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Another Theory

[HIDE]I believe as Arron Akheart (or however you spell his name:biggrin) has signed for two films, I read it as two face not being dead, and arrested. However this would cause to much damage to gotham's "hope" so they gave Harvey dent a funeral so now we are left with just two face.[/HIDE]

Also I saw This and thought it was worth Sharing...

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012