Boyce's down on luck....

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Boycie, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sorry i haven't been around much lately- i have been job hunting.

As some of you might know Boyce started his first "IT" job back in December. The place has now been flogged and it looks like the new owners don't want any IT staff at all. :oops:

So with less than six months experience i am having trouble finding another..... Was thinking about advertising (properly) for PC repairs etc.
    There seems to be a massive shortage of entry level jobs in my area although plenty of "track record" stuff.

I hope i don't have to throw it all away...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

why are you referring to yourself in the third person?

anyway, hang in there. d-Faktor is confident you will find something eventually. :eek:

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

sorry D, not with you :blink

4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to hear about that, what area are you searching in?

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Pete,

Registered with all the usual people: monster, jobserve, reed, hays, cwjobs, jobcentre etc.... Seems to be a shortage of entry level. Some of the ads list as say first line help desk but want say computer science degree student with this that and the other for £6-£7 an hour...

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bad luck mate, but it's all experience and that seems to be the hardest thing to get nowadays!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Originally Posted by Boyce
    As some of you might know Boyce started his first "IT" job back in December.

Well m8, you refered to yourself in third person. Look at the line at the top. It would be like me saying, As some of you may know Dom started a job last week. What you would normally say is ... As some of you may know I started a job last week ...

Anyway, sorry to hear about your bad luck m8. Is it for definate that they are getting rid of IT support staff? I can't see how they will manage really, are they also planning on getting rid of all their computers as well? Or just struglling along as and when they get problems etc...

Either way, good luck finding something new m8, I'm sure you will get on fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

But don't lose touch with them - often when management types decide they don't need IT they discover after a month of major ****-ups that they *do* need IT - so people who are familiar with the place get their jobs back!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for the votes of confidence guys, appreciated :thumbleft

10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Boyce, how far a field are you looking? I live in Chepstow and there seems to be no shortage of the kind of jobs you're looking for, especially in Newport (which is a comfortable commute from Cardiff), the Valleys and Bristol, which is a bit further but not a problem on the trains (if you drive you've got the Severn Bridge toll (spit :x )), I work with a bloke all the way from Blackwood.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sorry to hear that Boyce. I'm sure that you will find something that suits a man of your tallents. 8)

12. Duckie

Duckie Nibble Poster

I'm sorry to hear that Boyce. Good luck with finding something else.

~Duckie

Certifications: MCDST, MOS 2003
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hang in there mate. Who knows, you might be able to swing a contract maintainence deal out of it.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Good luck boycie! :thumbleft

BTW are you saying 6 quid is too little or too much? :oops:

if thats too little then you should see what IT in cyprus get paid! :(

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sorry to hear that mate, have the new owners definitely decided what they are going to do though? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Chump

Chump New Member

Er, this may not be good advice for you, but if everything goes pear-shaped and drastic measures are called for, you could get a job in a call center or something

Now I know that these things are sweatshops for the 21st Century, I know this 'cos I work in one, but there is a technical department in my call center, and I asked them for a job. They suggested they could give me job shadowing, which gets me of the phones and into the techie room for a while, thereby giving me some experience which will give me a chance to get a job when I finish these courses I'm doing, and most likely I will be offered a job in this techie room if I show them that I can do the job.
    So basically, I can get into the techie room 'cos I've worked there a bit and they know me, which makes the difference.
    For you though, this may all be unnecessary and your job may be safe, good luck regardless.

Certifications: MSc Computer Science
    WIP: N+, MCSA
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have only just got up and hence am late to this thread.

Boyce I am really sorry this has happened and so soon after you getting the job that took so long to find. Life can be tough sometimes and this episode is going to be tough again for you. However, as they say, when one door closes, another door opens. You will probably look back on this one day and say thank goodness that happened or I wouldn't be where I am now.

Good luck!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hang tough, Boyce. We've all been there. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  19. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Keep in there Boyce!I'll keep my ears to the ground for anything that swings in this direction and let you know.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Bum deal mate :( However, I'm sure Boyce will survive in a brief stint behind the bar until his luck turns for the better :wink:

Fingers crossed, mate ...:thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity