1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boyce is on d......i.....a......l.....u.......p

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Boycie, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

blimey, i haven't been on dial-up since 2000 and what a shock!

People moan when others have a *slightly* faster downstream than themselves on a broadband connection and Boyce is on dial up for a week :oops

I always took my 1MB line for granted, infact hard done by! The reason being, my ISP would give you the fasted downstream your line *could handle* (max 8Mb) although upstream peaked at 512kbps.

Now i am connecting at a measley 49.4 kbps. :twisted:
    Can't wait for the xDSL to be enabled; (should be by this time next week) current line test gives estimate of 5.4 down 448 up :biggrin

s..............i..........

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Quick, somebody put a link to a large .bmp file in this thread!

Only kidding mate! :biggrin

I remember when I moved house and there was a two week wait for the bband to be activated. Must be an IT guys worst nightmare! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

y......o.....u.....a....i.......n......t.......k........i....d...d......i.....n...
    g.......s.....p......a.....r......k :biggrin

Si

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Slow down mate, I can hardly understand you! :biggrin

Can you not jump onto somebody’s unsecured wireless network? Obviously this is only to be done to highlight the problems of unsecured networks and not for personal benefit <cough>

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I know how you feel Boyce, when I moved to Australia in 2001, there was no BB available where I lived apart from ridiculously expensive satellite. Hence I had to study my entire 7 exam MCSE and start running my own IT business on dial up and only 28K at that. Not very easy to download service packs or critical updates I can tell you :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Bro, i feel for ya! condolences to all concerned...

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

There are three wireless networks within range, all WPA <cough>
    While on the subject of wireless networks, i listened to a security now podcast (www.grc.com/securitynow everyone is great :) ). Steve Gibson comments how weak the SSID and MAC filtering features are. He also comments that wired ethernet isn't really secure.

Si