Bought a Kindle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So work are sending me to Australia for a couple of weeks starting next week. Given that I dont really want to load up my suitcase with a heap of books, nor carry a heap onto the 23 hour flights, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Kindle 3.

For a long time I've put it off to be honest. I'm an avid reader (fiction mostly), and love that "new book" feel, and the feel of holding the book in your hands. It's not something I felt that an ebook reader would be able to replicate.

That said, I'm liking it so far actually. I've bought the next in the series of a book I finished the other day, and started reading it. I have to say that the screen is pretty good for reading on, and the page turn button is in just the right place for my thumb when I'm holding it.

To be honest, I had been swaying between it and the Sony eReaders. Amazon's store have a wider range of books than Sony, and seem much easier to get books from the store with, which was the clincher in the end. There is the argument that it doesnt support ePub (the open standard), but with Calibre, thats not an issue. I can get it on ePub, and convert to .Mobi to install on the kindle (or send it to their Amazon whispernet email address for automatic conversion and transferral to my Kindle).

My only real issue is the books that I physically own that I like to read again from time to time. I'm highly unlikely to buy those again on Kindle format (I personally dont feel I should have to buy the eBook version of a book I physically own).

Anyway, so far it's pretty cool, and I'm liking it more than I thought I would. Time will tell if it's a definate winner for me, but given I have two bookcases stuffed with books, and several boxes of books lying around, it would definately help limit the space I need for my books.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Doh my comment got scrapped in the move! Love my Kindle. Wish work would send me to Oz was my second comment :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

If I didn't have an iPad, I would definitely buy a Kindle. I actually find that I prefer reading electronically, which I'm surprised about. I too love the feel and look of a physical book, but it's so convenient to have several books with me at all times without the heft of actually carrying physical books.

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Your making me go and consider them.. they are super cheap now.. might give it a go being they are < 200 bucks!!

i have an ipad.. but you know, you can never have too many gadgets! just ask my new car ;P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I don't read at all, but i did buy one of these for my mum for crimbo, she can't put the bloody thing down, as soon as one book is done she'll buy another.

It is quite a nice piece of kit, thin, cracking display, and battery life is very good - it'll pay for itself over time on the savings you make from buying proper books

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What are the average cost savings buying an ebook for the kindle versus the proper paper version?

Are there any programs that can convert pdfs to the kindle format (as you know with every MS Press book you get the book as a pdf as well) or do you have to go through Amazon to get the ebooks?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Fergal1982

it depends to be honest. eBooks are subject to VAT for a start (hardcopies are not), and the prices for eBooks are set by the vendor (whereas Amazon or any other supplier can charge what they like for hardcopies).

Generally you find that the ebook on amazon is slightly cheaper than the currently available hardcopy (ie its about a pound cheaper than hardbacks when the book is first out. When the paperback comes out, it drops to about a pound cheaper than the paperback). However, some suppliers refuse to supply ebooks at all, and even when they do, they deliberately inflate the price (such as this ebook)

The Kindle 3 will read PDF docs natively, so you dont need to bother if you dont want to, but it wont read ePubs, etc.

There are a couple of ways that you can convert to kindle format. First, you can email the attachment to the kindle service ([email protected] - which will transfer it over 3G for a cost - the limit of which you can control, or @free.kindle.com which will only transfer over wifi). Alternatively, you can download Calibre, which will convert various formats into .MOBI - which the kindle can read. You can then load this via USB cable.

Bear in mind though, that if you buy from the likes of Waterstones.com, if you want to convert to Kindle format (.mobi), you will need to break the DRM on the document. How happy you are on that depends on the individual I suppose.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Did you get the 3G version?

I bought a Kindle before Xmas for my computer forensics dissertation. They are very good eBook readers. I don't read much so gave it to my girlfriend who does. She completely loves it. There are so many free books that you can download.

I found that emailing documents and pdfs to the Kindle were not that successful. I found it easier to just copy them to the device when connected via usb.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  9. Fergal1982

Yeah, I bought the 3G, made sense since I'm heading to Australia.

I've only tried sending one document to the Kindle, via the free.kindle.com address, and it automatically arrived at my device without much issue.

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've got mixed feelings. I really like the idea, but the real killer for me is that the price of the eBooks isn't low enough to sway me.
    I buy a lot of my books online second hand, so you pay a fraction of the cost (it can be a gamble with regards to quality though).
    I also like to read in the bath, and I'd rather drop a £2 paperback than a £100 Kindle...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. Fergal1982

I agree, I love gadgets. And so far loving the Kindle over the iPad for reading. Jury is still out for kindle vs DTB's though - but the outcome is looking positive at any rate.

I dont think I'll ever ditch my library of books in favour of ebooks, and im sure if I really like the books I'd possibly by DTB's of them to keep, but the more I use it, the more I think it will have a definite place in my reading world.

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Is that the larger DX version with the 9.7 inch screen?
    Are there any recommendations as why the smaller version would be better?

I've also heard that it's easier on the eyes than reading on a pc screen or even some books. Has anyone also noticed this or is it just marketing BS?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  13. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Nothing beats a Kindle when it comes to eBooks IMHO. Easy to read even with shades on in the sun.

Ooooo what motor have you got Phoenix???

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Not sure about being easier to read than a book i do love a real book (mmm the smell of a new book), but I do love mine (dx version), only thing I do find a little bit frustrating is I find I flick through books to get to an interesting section, its not so easy to do that with a ebook, either you have to type in a search term or browse the index( most are hyperlinked). The other thing of course is I dont think anyone has ever been mugged for a paperback :p

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. Fergal1982

No, Its the standard Kindle 3. DX is larger, which is great for textbooks, newspapers, journals, etc (which is what it's designed for). I'm led to believe that the normal size is better for reading (I know mine is) books for long periods of times. Its more portable, and easy to hold in one hand for reading.

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well compared to a traditonal backlit screen most definitely, but compared to books .. about the same. eInk tech is such that it works the same way as paper, so the more light you have, the more contrast. Same with a Kindle.

There is no way I'd be reading off an iPad or any backlit screen for significant periods (ie reading a novel) as it's much harder on your eyes.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the input guys.

BTW Fergal, where abouts are you going in Oz?

18. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

The kindle doesn't refresh the screen like standard screens which is kinder for the eyes. The Kindles screen is static until you turn the page. The e-ink dots are either on (black) or off. This concept is also great in that it wont use any power until you turn the page. The Kindle doesn't require power to sustain the image just to create it the first time.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  19. Fergal1982

Perth. Flying out Sunday morning.

20. GW

GW Byte Poster

I love my Kindle DX, my dad bought it for me several years ago as a Christmas gift but I didn't find it too great for reading computer books since it is harder to find back and forth through the book but for regular reading books I just love it.

But now that I'm ramping up my studying I'm going to have to get back into putting the computer books on my Kindle and reading from there.

The only real problem I've ever had with the Kindle DX is the weight of it, reading in bed is sometimes a pain if you are laying on your back to read and more so when you fall asleep with reading and the Kindle falls on your face :cry:

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA