Botnet crackdown - arrests made

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 30, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I hope they throw the book at the little fooker http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7120251.stm

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

They'll probably offer him a plea deal where he ends up working for them trying to foil other hackers... unfortunately.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

He does not come across as a kid scripty either:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep they probably will offer him a deal and pay him for it too :x

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Sadly this is what happens when the government under invests in key areas of policing like cyber crime. It's also a continuing trend amongst UK business who invest millions in IT equipment and pay peanuts to the people they expected to maintain and secure it.

Funnily enough these are normally the people screaming about a skills shortage :twisted::twisted:

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Thing is folks, to catch a criminal, you have to think like a criminal. That's why a lot of coppers that work CID are often less than savoury characters themselves. This kid doesn't sound like a genius to me - one up from the average script kiddie probably. If he was any good he wouldn't have been caught - serious miscreants NEVER get caught. Believe me, at any one time there are about 8-10 thousand people who could break into most people's networks without even coming close to getting caught - botherding - probably done over IRC channels - is about the biggest "HERE I AM!!!" you can give out.

No-one's giving him a deal - unless its just to squeal on his buddies for a lesser sentence. Any fool can create a botnet - if he had devised a more devious, hitherto unheard of method of stealing identities - THEN they might consider offering him a deal - but I very much suspect it would be a deal along the lines of:
    You do exactly what we say, when we say it. If you don't, you get 'accidented'
    8)

The myth about governments offering deals to virus writers and the like is just that - a myth. You qould have to be very, very talented to get treatment like that - not use an ACME 'create-a-botnet' kit or a polymorphic virus generator.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em