Boson Exam Sims

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by dalsoth, Feb 11, 2009.

1. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Knowing Michael and others post on here i was wondering if there was any chance Boson would be looking at accepting Maestro cards as payment? Each time i am about to pay i realise i am stuck with needing to borrow someone's debit card again to put an order through.

I know in the US, Maestro is not really recognised but it is the only card that Natwest customers get unless you get a credit card and i have no intention of getting one of those.

Is this something that is feasible or just not worth the hassle in the US?

On a side note, do any of you know which banks actually provide a Mastercard, Visa, American Express on a debit card?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am with lloyds and you get a visa debit card with them.

I am not sure how boson take payment it might be worth asking BosonMichael or Boson Josh but I doubt Meastro will work.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

As members of the development team, BosonMichael and I aren't involved in the payment process, so I can't say for sure what we can and cannot accept. However, I've never heard of Maestro cards used for any online retailer that I've purchased with here in the US. I suspect the reason is that is probably a large hassle for US-based businesses and banks, although I don't know for sure.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just spoke with the CFO... from what I understand, there's a monetary cost involved with being able to accept each form of payment. Unfortunately, you're the only person in 8 years who has asked to pay using a Maestro card... so the costs involved would be prohibitively expensive. Were the demand there, I am sure we would accept it as a payment method.

How widespread is the Maestro card over there compared to Visa and MasterCard?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It's not very widespread it's like a debit card but is only issued by one bank (I think) and it can't be used for everything like Visa and Mastercard.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Very widespread. But not well known. If this sounds odd it is because several cards have only recently been changed to Maestro, and most owners don't realize what has happened.

For example, nearly everybody in the UK who had a NatWest ServiceCard has been converted to Maestro.

Maestro is very definitely a European card.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I think Maestro are owned by MasterCard but not really known in the US. Used to be a Solo card i think before it changed to Maestro. It just seems really silly to me that i am with a major UK bank and can't pay for certain things online. You would think in this day and age they would have a card that can be used all over the world.

I have an advantage gold account (should really cancel as i hardly use the benefits) and I'm given a sub standard card. I have considered moving my savings completely or just opening up a new account elsewhere to be honest. I even had to get my GF to pay for my exam later this week as Prometric did not accept Maestro. When i paid for my last voucher for XP i had to do the same through GetCertify4Less and then had all the hassle of them having to call us from America to prove we were the owner of the card.

I was going to purchase a test for the 290 the other day from Boson and remembered last time i tried i had no luck which is why i started the thread.

Guess i will have to get a new account somewhere else then. Thanks for the info guys.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If we get more requests for Maestro, then I would guess that management would consider taking the steps to begin implementing it.

Which brings up the question: what payment method do most of you use for your online purchases? I typically use my Visa debit card...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!