'Borrowed' Internet connection!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by simongrahamuk, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Noel, Phoenix is not necessarily supporting your exact argument, he said this...

I see you have posted a link to the article you mentioned...

As I stated earlier in this very thread, the law is not globally uniform, legislation changes from country to country and in some countries, state to state. Just because something is illegal in Florida, does not mean it is illegal where you live. People smoke pot openly on the streets of Amsterdam and it is not a crime.

It does strike me as odd that all wireless equipment is open/un-secured by default.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good lord! What did I start!

Well I should say that no I didn't break the law, I got his consent to use the connection. I maybe 'bent' the law when I checked to see if he had enabled a password on his router.

Innitially I maybe broke tha law when seeing if I could connect, but did disconnect before speaking to him.

Anyways, all fully legal now, I got my own connection back up.

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

That is a bargain! :biggrin As for the Wireless set-up, isn't it amazing how many people's access points are free to all!

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Noel, sorry m8 but you ain't got a case to rest! The article refers to Florida, USA and we are in the UK. The UK may have a special relationship with the US but their laws certainly don't apply to us!! So thank you and good day!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

damn! what did i miss!

really interesting read guys. :thumbleft

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Why? Until just lately the vast majority of the personal computers sold in the world came open and un-secured to any degree by default, so why should the fact that wireless routers come unsecured be considered odd?

I consider it much odder that the 95%+ of all personal computers, and many servers also, would be sold that way without a goverment inquiry into why this would be as it is very detrimental to society as a whole.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Noel, my argument wasnt backing you up at all, and im really not to pleased with the pissing contest going on in this thread, if certain members cant have mature conversations then the mods will have to perform house cleaning on threads
    please behave like adults
    i dont give a damn whos is bigger

most things come unsecure by default, generally because the end user needs to know how to get to an admin level
    you install linux it asks for a root password
    you install windows it asks for an admin password

the problem is, uneducated userbase generally stops there and works with these privelaged accounts

i must say alot of wireless equip now days is coming secured out of the box
    there are about 20 connections in range of my laptop, A/B/G and only one is unsecure, 4 even have there SSIDs not broadcast (including mine), unsure how many are using crap wep and how many are using WPA/WPA2 but they all show up with padlocks :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Gav that this is an interesting and worthy conversation but its time to realize that we don't have to personalize conflict. That is, you can disagree on a subject and keep it unemotional. This is one of the most "user-friendly" discussion boards on the Internet. Let's keep it that way, shall we? :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I agree Trip, can we stick to the facts please. I understand thet the laws are different in different countries. This is a good thing that may help others to get the right law for the right country (if you see what i mean)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well at the end of that day I know I wouldnt be happy if someone was using my wireless connection without my knowledge...but then they wouldnt anyway cos a) I dont use wireless and b) if I did...it would have encryption...end of...however i believe this will be the last we hear of this as there are clearly different sides to it but I am sticking to my point...and will defend it for as long as it takes...but thats it for now...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. AJ

I'm sorry NoelG but I think youare wrong. As technology goes on this issue will become bigger and bigger. To just turn your back on it is just opening the problem up to the others who can take advantage of other who do not have the expertise that we are lucky to have.

Whilst we are not in the driving seat of legislation, places likie this can, and have, made their presence known when laws are made, and to turn your back on a problem does no-one anygood.

No hard feeling m8 but that's just the way I see it

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

That's a point, Phoenix, but it wasn't my point.

Until recently all Windows pc's and servers came with almost all services started by default. IOW's it came with all the windows and doors not only unlocked, but advertising themselves as wide open.

I fail to see much difference in principle between that and wifi coming insecure out of the box. Both are going to be used be an uneducated public that doesn't really care about security until they have something bad happen to them.

So, why the brouhaha over this when the computers themselves were shipped so that they would advertise things most users didn't even know existed by default in most cases? It's the principle of the thing that I'm looking at, not the specifics.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. AJ

Sorry guys are we going off topic here. The original thread was about someone using an unsecured wireless network and is this legal? We seem to be moving out of this area.

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I am necessarily turning my back on it...I am just saying for now I wont be adding to my comments cos clearly everyone has a different view on this...but as I said I will fight my corner for as long as it takes with anyone (not just in the forums) who might think its not an offence to use an open wireless network...besides we have discussed this at work and just about everyone agrees thats its bad to use an open wireless network even when customers call us we dont encourage them to use open networks that dont belong to them...cos if we did we as a company we will be in big trouble...and since Apple is more US based well I cant say anymore than I already have...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Guys, I think it's maybe time this Thread has run it's course. Some good points were raised. However, it has obviously caused some disagreement between those involved. Let's hope we can agree to disagree, as I really don't want to have to close the thread - CF prides itself on the fact that this is something we seldom do, and only as a last resort.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity