Bored of insurance...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Blammo, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Hello all. I'm a 32 year old chap working in ops support for a large insurance company, and I'm borrrrred!!

I'm examining my career so far and have come to the conclusion (alarmingly easily) that I will not be happy continuing on the path I am currently on and would like to make a career change in the short to medium term. It feels like a bit of a now or never moment, or at least a crossroads anyway.

I did some elements of computing at uni, such as programming (Java), which I really enjoyed, and Computer Architecture, which enthralled and baffled me in equal measure. But that was a good few years ago now, but I realise it has stuck with me as something I'd quite like to get into more.

To keep myself a little bit entertained in my current job, I taught myself VBA, and pretty much used any excuse to put something together in Excel using VBA, even where the more straightforward formulae would have done the trick - just to exercise the bored mind.

Anyway, looking at self-study now as a way to kick start a career change. Have had a look at some really helpful threads already as part of wider research. Will probably post a few questions at some point, so hopefully some of you can relate your own experience and wisdom to help me out.

That's all for now.

WIP: Decisions decisions
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Have you thought about asking the company you work for, maybe they arelooking for people and as your already employed im sure they will give it a thought. When you say big company, how big?? And if you dont ask you dont get do you, maybe the stuff you have been doing in your own time,. you could present that to them and explain what you are looking for and what youd really like to do?? Im sure they can only say no at the end of the day

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Ye, that's a non-starter unless I'm willing to re-locate down south or to India, which isn't an option for me. The best they've managed is to get me fixing everyone else's botched spreadsheets. :p

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Gotta start somewhere mate. What side of IT do you want to get into? Support? Programming?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Of course, and little experiences like this can help nudge you in the right direction. Re what I'm wanting to do, I've posted a thread in training and development, which is not visible yet as i'm a newbie. But hopefully will be soon, and would be delighted to hear any thoughts you have.

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Your doing the right thing in thinking about your long term future. First you need to see what path you want to take and then formulate a study plan and career path based on that. I know that is pointing out the obvious but I think a lot of people including myself up until recently don't have a vision or career goals set out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Yip, that's exactly where I was. It's so easy not to focus on what you really want to do and what you will be happy doing. I have a decent job at the moment, and the money is good, but if I look back I realise that I've got here by taking opportunites that were available rather than setting out a plan and going for it. Then again, it's got my to my current position of wanting to make real changes, so no regrets (I think :p)

Thanks for the welcome.

9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hello Blammo, I don't suppose by Ops Support, you mean mainframe, MVS, os390/zOS Ops Support?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. Blammo

Blammo New Member

No. I mean in the sense of supporting (and shaping) the operations side of the business. I deliver small to medium sized change and optimisation projects.