booting problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by shaggy, Jul 25, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

stumped by this one, just got an old laptop out of the loft (only about 2 years old) wanted to run UBCD on it to check a few things, but it crashed when trying to boot up from the CD, it just had a flashing cursor

so took the cd out, tried to reboot, same problem, turned it off, unplugged, took the battery out, put it back in and plugged it in again, booted up to windows fine, i now have to do this everytime i want to boot the thing up, UBCD crashes every single time

CD drive works fine with other CD's when i get it to windows so dont think thats the problem, theres no hardware errors in device manager, but i just have to cut all power for 5 minutes before it will boot up, last time i used it before this it all worked fine

any ideas?

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you boot from any CD mate? Say you fired in the XP CD, would it run through the usual install process?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Havnt actually got an other bootable CD's round here yet so cant try

but anything else i can try first?

4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

First thing to spring in my mind is a broken battery pack. I once had a problem like this. I had to remove the battery, slap it with a flat hand and then it would work.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

take the battery out altogether and run it from the power pack and start it up a few times. - might pinpoint a batttery issue.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Try changing the Boot Order/Sequence/Priority on your BIOS settings (Press DEL/F2/F10/WHATEVER during POST - try anything if you don't know which)......

Bear in mind some old laptops' BIOS won't boot from CD, I've had one of those before and hand to use floppies to begin the initial Win2000 install lol.

Or try a network install if your laptop supports...

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Is this a CD you burned yourself? If so, maybe the laptop has a problem with it - older CD drives may not work with CDRW disks, or if you are using UDF format.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Tried taking the battery out, no change, i dont have a floppy drive on it to use floppy boot disks so pretty sure its not that

have set boot sequence back to default

got a windows boot disc, reads that fine

cd drive also works with other CD's that ive burned

does taking the battery out clear some kind of cache? do laptops still have a little charge going through the motherboard if the battery isnt flat? like if you leave a PC plugged in?

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

No, the only reason I suggested running it off the mains supply (with no battery) was to rule the battery out. The BIOS will have it's own battery to remember hardware configuration.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

hmmm strange, i wonder why taking the battery out and putting it back in makes it boot up normally then