Bootable Windows OS from external hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by alcapone, Feb 21, 2010.

1. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

Hello guys I need your help. The idea is I use some same Web Design applications for my work on 2 different computers and I fed up to transferring my work progress from one computer to another one, and sometimes it's very easy to mess up something. So I want to install Windows XP and some applications into external hard drive (and make it bootable) so that I can boot windows from it and use that external hard drive on multiple workstations. And is it possible to do that with full application versions(not portable). If it is possible maybe the is some step by step guide or any video tutorial how to do this. Thank you in advance!!!​

Certifications: CompTIA I-Net+, ACE dreamweaver cs3
    WIP: Macromedia Flash, Photoshop.
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Why not take a look at dropbox? you can syncronise up to 2GB of data - and more when friends use the service as a result of you.

If you install the application on more than one computer (if just one, it's a good off-site back-up method for "my docs"), the data across all machines associated with the account will be sync'd. There is also a web portal so you can log in and upload, restore and download files which you may not want to install the application on - such as when on holiday, at a friends etc.

It's free too!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Why do you need apps and hence xp installed on the external drive, what apps that can't be installed individually on each pc?

If it is just raw data, then how about a NAS ?

Do you plan on unplugging and plugging in the external drive to each pc?

The other way is to setup a peer-to-peer share between the 2 pcs seems a better idea?

Certifications: A+
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I know Windows is supposed to be user-friendly, but expecting it to be bottable is probably a step too far...

:eek:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I have seen a USB bootable version of XP - I'd question its legality, but I have seen it possible and would probably fit your requirements, but whether its legit, I doubt it.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

And why would it not be possible as long as your bios supports booting from usb, if not have a look at the plop boot loader, it can force a usb boot and has a few other tricks as well. Remember though you would be running at usb 1.1/2.0 speeds so would be painfully slow.

7. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

The biggest headache i think from booting from a usb drive into Windows where Windows wasn't installed onto the machine would be drivers, especially system drivers and motherboard drivers, might cause quite a headache for poor little windows when it suddenly finds itself being moved from one machine with one motherboard, ram, cpu and graphics setup onto another machine with a completely different setup.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  8. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Yeah of course, your right, the hal would get messed up. BSOD unless both pcs were very similar. You could probably get around that tweaking the regsitry and adding the drivers for both systems. Seems a lot of hassle when you could setup a network instead.

9. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

Boycie I need much more space for my files and also I want them always be with me not somewhere in virtual space :) Tanks for respond!

10. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

If I will be using NAS I must always be connected to the network.

Yes don't know how to do it but I'm thinking to make something like mobile device with Windows and all Programs I need inside of it so I can plug it to any computer, boot windows from that device and use it.

This way again I must always be connected to the network.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  11. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

I guess this is what I need but also I need to know how to do that :D But I don't see legality difference between that and let's say laptop isn't it? Anyway it will be installed on single device.

12. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

That's exactly that about what I'm worry! How to make configuration of Windows for multiple stations. If it would be totally same machines then no problems at all, but when the hardware is different coming up drivers issue. That's why I decided to ask this question in this forum. Technologies are changes so quick, you newer know what was impossible yesterday maybe it is already possible today and even in many ways.

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

2GB is free. 50GB is $99 per year last time i looked. The files are held on your local machine(s) as with normal files and folders and on their webserver for replication to your other computers whilst providing a back-up medium at the same time.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  14. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

what about a really big U3 type flash drive. Programs can be installed onto that...

Either that or a portable HD with some applications from portableapps.com ?

WIP: 70-680
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thinking about this (jumped the gun with dropbox - i thought it was just data): what about a virtual machine? Create a virtual machine on your chosen external hdd with all applications you need and take it around with you.
    More info (and download) here.

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Or do it with VMware Player

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA