boot up issue getting old fast!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IThurts, Apr 6, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

SO again, this option did not work. It replaces files and gets to the xp loading screen, and hangs as per usual...iany other ideas? What about resetting the bios with the onboard switch..? Clearing the CMOS using onboard switch?
    how do i do this?
    thanx....im getting really pee'd off with this crap.:x

i also have my mobo cd rom if that helps.....clutching onto anythere here!!

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Check. The. Damn. Drive.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    What he said.

Your drive is fubared - I'll lay green money on it (well, blue, since they did away with pound notes in about 1985 :biggrin)

Run the diagnostics on the UBCD and, if you ever do get it working at all, then get your data off it quick and buy a new drive to put Windoze on. Slave the current OS drive and install Windows on the other would be my first course of action after exhausting attempts to run O/S repairs

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted. For. Truth.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Okay sorry, i was putting this off as i dont really know how to go about this. Please could you explain how i am supposed to run this program?
    I understand that i should download the .exe, possilby onto a memory stick/cd....i understand i would need to change my boot options for the cd/removable drive to boot first depending on which i use for the UBCD, however not quite understanding how or where i would install this program to...

after i have the program installed onto a usb stick/cd it will be no problem for me to get it to run, ie: boot from cd under bios and then tap a key when starting windows to run from the cd right? Just not sure how to get the program installed and ready for use...

I know this is prob a novice question, but thats what im here for!!:oops: Please could someone advise me..

UPDATE*************

I have asked the IT support guy where i work for info about UBCD for windows. He has advised that i need to go through a few things before i can use the UBCD, ie: http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm He has kindly said that he will provide me with the ISO image of the UBCD with steps already carried out in the above link so all i gotta do is burn it.

6. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

all live CDs run in RAM and do not use your hard disk, hence they're great for recovery situations like this, so you do not have to install anything
    so what you have to do is

1. download a live CD - ubcd/knoppix/ubuntu/ERD/etc

2. burn the image

3. boot the PC with said live CD

4. if you can see the windows *currently defunct* drive then great, you need to copy your files to a safe place

5. if you cannot see the windows partition then its FUBAR and the drive is as good as dead

7. neutralhills

Not necessarily. It's still possible for the drive to be failing, but for it to show up in Ubuntu or whatever your distro of choice is (I've had this happen a couple of times).

8. neutralhills

ITHurts:

Download the ISO image:

http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/ubcd/ubcd411.iso

...burn it to a CD.

If your system allows you to bring up a boot device menu at startup, do that and select the drive with the CD. Otherwise, go into your BIOS and set your CD as the boot device.

When prompted, press ENTER to boot from UBCD.

Choose file system tools.

Then choose the appropriate hard disk tool.

9. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

RECENT UPDATE***********************************

Thanks neutralhills but i copied the info from here: http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

I had copied my XP cd onto my laptop HD and then used the UBCD4win builder to do all which is outlined in the link above. Not sure why i needed my XP folder in the build process but i followed what i was told anywho.

I booted the UBCD4win in the faulty machine, and was really impressed by its functionality. It took me into a windows environment and i can report the following:

-I CAN SEE BOTH OF MY HARD DISKS incl files/folders/everything
    -I HAVE RUN A DISK CHECK WHICH REPORTED 2 FAULTS-but these were "path/file.." errors in regards to program files, so nothing i would have though would have stopped win xp from loading! I used the "diskcheck" utliity but noticed that after it had finished reporting 2 errors..it doesnt give you the option to fix it!! (the friggn scan took 8hrs..and i cant even sort the problems out-even if they are minor??)Maybe i used the wrong utlity, but its a check nontheless.
    -I HAVE ROLLED THE REGISTERY BACK TO 28/3/08 or something similar...incase it was a registery setting i had messed up
    -I HAD RUN A VIRUS CHECK which returned no virus to report of.

Restarted my PC this morning, and at first it said "Operating system failed to load"..or something, i then restarted the PC again, and i GET PAST THE win xp splash screen and get to my LOGIN window....:biggrin

However, the issue i have now, is that the mouse/keyboard do not "work"..the light for the mouse is on, but does not move, i also noticed that when inside the UBCD4win interface, the keyboard light was not on, but was working (i think). So im at the login screen but cant login beause i cannot move the mouse/keyboard.
    Will try to troubleshoot tonight but any ideas people?

I had a thought...i have cleared the CMOS (clrCMOS) a couple of times on the main board, if i by some reason have not moved the jumper from pins 2&3 to 1&2(which is default apparently) would this disable functionality of my peripherals?
    Should i conclude that the HD is not indeed faulty, or that it was the registery settings that i may have buggered up? I remember adjusting some settings in regards to DCOM in the registery:rolleyes::oops:

Any help would be oh so kind.

Also - is it possible to copy the ENTIRE drive onto another? Including programs/games/software whilist retaining the functionality of the actual programs. So if decided to format the drive i could just copy the info across again instead of reinstalling everythnig.

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Copyright reasons. It needs parts of Windows to build the disk, but they can't include it as this would break the copyright rules. Hence asking for your licensed copy.
    Yes - Acronis True Image will do this, among other progs. I've used Acronis to do just this when a drive started failing on me.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Harry, i found a free one because im a cheapskate called EaseUS Disc-copy. Looks good so will give that a try. Might be an idea for me to buy a seperate external drive for the purpose of backing up my whole system eh?

I shall re-quote my remaining issues in hope that someone will get back to me and for the purpose of the new page:D

12. neutralhills

I can see why you're training to be a Web developer: you do everything the hard way. :p

UBCD4WIN is a pain in the arse. Avoid it and stick with the link I provided. This will save you much frustration.

13. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

lol...i actually want to be a web designer, but feel there is not much scope for job opps for that, so am doing a bit of dev/desig :biggrin
    In re to UNCD4WIN, i sorted that day before yesterday and built it up etc etc and it works fine so no probs there!

Back to the issue:

the pp on my issue is that i have indeed resumed my pc to a "working" state, i troubleshooted the m/kb issue and now can get into windows and roam as per usual. I will explain how i came to this resolution and the issues i now face in the event someone comes across a similiar issue...:x If there are any issues below under "ISSUES STILL PRESENT" that any of you can assist with please do. Thanks again.:)

How i fixed it :: with thanks to members within this thread ::

ORIGINAL SYMPTOMS

-PC freeing at the windows xp splash screen, where xp logo just animates from left to right
    -cannot get past this screen

MY SOLUTION STEPS; (things i tried)
    with the things in bold meaning things that i feel actually made a difference:

-RESTORE WINDOWS FILES - using xp cd in recovery mode...choose to reinstall (not fresh install) (restores windows files as new)
    -CLEARED CMOS
    -UNPLUG PERIPHERALS and reboot only with kb/m
    -RESTORE BIOS TO DEFAULTS
    -RESEATED MEMORY
    -UNPLUGGED ALL HARDWARE TO CHECK INTEGRITY OF HARDWARE
    -RESET ESCD DATA
    -CHECKED CABLE CONNECTIONS TO HARD DISKS/CARDS ETC
    -USED UBCD4WIN CD-valuable cd recovery http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm
    this enabled me to get INTO a windows environment and diagnose issues (if any) with HD. Within here i had restored the registery to a previous state (2weeks or so back). I ran a virus check within here.

ISSUES STILL PRESENT:

Italic items are resolved:

-Mouse and keyboard unresponsive within the login screen environment -fixed by simply unpluggin usb/serial cables and replugging, the rebooting.
    -Zonealarm firewall seems to be playing up. Shutting down when it feels like it and windows keeps telling me there is no firewall present!!Also - all of my ZoneAlarm settings had been wiped.Poss a result of rolling back registery/restoring from XP CD?
    -i ran windows update and it found 76 new downloads..loads of windows security updates and such.i find this odd, but may have been because i rolled the registery back? -informed that this was poss due to restoring windows files using XP CD
    - I have ALOT of event id issues within the event viewer..ID's :7001,7024,7036,3113, which i would like resolved. Most to do with "Service controller manager"
    -Some programs ie; download accelerator are not functioning correctly
    -Internet explorer 7 kept on producing error upon opening "needs to close...". fixed by reinstall of it.

STEPS TO TAKE NOW!

-Possibly find a new firewall/Reinstall ZoneAlarm
    -Microsoft Updates (not windows updates)
    -Resolve Event ID issues
    -PURCHASE EXTERNAL DRIVE for the next step....
    -AQUIRE EASEUS DISK COPY and back up entire C: .. http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/
    -Reinstall any drivers that have been wiped due to repairing win xp using the XP cd ie; Graphics card etc
    CONCLUSION

I beg people who are having this issue to try the methods bolded FIRST under "MY SOLUTION STEPS", as the other methods may have helped in some shape and form, i dont feel were necessary to the problem outlined, so i wont say a waste of time, but more so not necessities. The UBCD is a great tool and there are many great diagnostic tools within. The UBCD allows you to get INTO some form of operating system and diagnose. This program runs from your memory and not from the hard disks. The XPCD recovery method for the windows files probably also helped to put back any files that were corrupt!

I shall be giving rep points to those that helped especially you neutralhills, your advice to look at UBCD has proven to be the cruncher in this situation. I will paste this post in the first post too, to save others from searching too hard.

EDIT: ok cant edit 1st post so will leave info here.

14. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Just remember that it will load the OS's default files so you may want to reinstall drivers as well and patch the OS back up to date.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  15. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

oh ok...prob the reason why i had 78 windows updates?am i correct?

Will i have to reinstall my 8800GTS driver again?

Also, When i booted my PC up again, all of my Zonealarm settings had been erased...is this the result of restoring from the xp cd also?? Should i reinstall Zonealarm?

Please can somone let me know...as im worried iv done something else wrong..:Oo

16. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

lol killer but yes I would possibly install your GPU driver again in case some of the files have been replaced by installing the OS over the top.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011