Boot Camps - Need Positive Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nimund8, May 14, 2006.

1. nimund8

nimund8 New Member

Hi

I now that the general consensus around here is that Boot Camps are no good, but here is my situation:

I currently live in the UK but due to few personal circumstances I want to get out of here and work in the US for a while.

I have run my own IT company for around 6 years covering domestic customers and small businesses. I currently have an MCDST, A+ and N+ all of which I passed first time with good scores after self studying for a couple of weeks. I was unable to go to University to pass a degree but I am 1 year into OU.

In order to satisfy visa requirements I need to have a degree or degree level skills/experience. My 6 years work will count towards this as will my OU and other qualifications but I am unlikely to get the visa right now and so I want to gain some further qualifications.

I really do not want to hang around for a long time and I so I have pretty much decided I want to do an MCSE boot camp. The one thing I want to make clear is I am not looking to walk into an MCSE level job, my main objective is to pass, get my visa and even if I take a job as a tech just at the moment I am happy with that, I can always revist the text books and brush up as my life goes on.

So, as per the title of the post, I am looking for positive views on Boot Camps. Looking around, MCSEclasses.com seem to look good. They seem open and honest about dates and prices, don't appear to make wild claims about salaries and I am waiting to speak to them about texts etc as per one of the pinned topics I have read.

If you absolutely have to tell me I am mad then thats OK but that isn't really what I am looking for. I am under no illusion that I will be as good a tech as you guys who worked long and hard for you certs, my main objective is to satisfy visa requirements.

Thanks
    Nick Munday

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for it mate, don’t get me wrong studying the material at your own pace and then taking the exams is the best way but this is not always an option for some people.

The option of a ‘MCSE boot camp’ was a thought at work a few weeks ago as we are missing out on some contracts as not all of our staff are certified. I declined the offer but it was tempting.

Hope it all goes well. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When doing a boot camp style course I think it is important that you are already VERY familliar with the material that will be taught, that is to say you should spend the months leading upto the course studying all of the relevant material. 8)

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Mick

Hello from a fellow OU student.

Personally, I am not a fan of Boot Camps and only know of one individual who has ever found them of any benifit and he, IMHO, really knows his stuff and only went on the camp to make sure he was up to speed then got the W2K03 MCSE via the two upgrade exams then got one of the first 5000 passes on the planet!

What are you planning to do when you get on the other side of the pond? If you were going to do any IT work and did not have the experance I am sure they would find out in about 20 mins tops. BTW the price of OU courses goes thru the roof if you are not in the UK or EU

5. nimund8

nimund8 New Member

Hi All

Thanks for your replys.

Sandy, I am not entirely sure what I plan to do over there just yet but as I said I am not perticually looking to go into a MCSE level job as I don't think the Boot Camp route will necessarily prepare me quite well enough. I have been running my company for a number of years providing technical support so for the time being I would be happy enough to go into a 1st/2nd level support role. The move really isn't motivated by money and I have no illusions of getting a job as a "main" network tech as I would be happy to continue doing what I am over here over there if I could get a visa as I stand and continue to build my experience, confidence and the size of networks I work on.

I am looking to do the boot camp in around 2 months so I plan on getting texts before hand (prodably these as I used the MS books for my MCDST and found them quite good http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...652420/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/203-9575878-9173545) and studying as hard as i can in the run up.

As for the OU, I will still have ties in the UK so I might just get everything sent there and then posted over to me but I will wait and see if everything goes to plan first I guess.

Thanks
    Nick

6. nimund8

nimund8 New Member

One question; do you think I might be better to do something like the CCNA before the MCSE?

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I don't think it matters which order you do these in, all the Cisco certification is that it lets employers know that you know how to use Cisco equipment and you are not going to stuff up their network. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

for some reason i heard that its much better to takle MCSE before CCNA. Both certs are difficult and both need hard work it just depends what interests you! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just a word of warning if you haven't already considered this. Don't assume passing the MCP's needed for the MCSE is going to be like taking the two for the MCDST. They get significantly harder.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Do consider that a huge number of the types of jobs you are thinking about have gone to India/China from the USA.