Boot camp? (part2)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by maverik, Mar 29, 2005.

1. maverik

maverik Bit Poster

Hi all, Im new to this forum but I was thinking of taking the A+ course.
    Even if it is pants the main thing is you get a bit of paper at the end that says you can do stuff.
    I found employers won't even look at you without these. I like to think Im pretty good with PCs (as I went to college for 2 years after school to do a BTEC) which so far has proved to be worth s!*t, although give me alot of free time to p*!s about.
    but enough said, nowdayz is so different from when I got into computers and theres so many different bits of paper to get.
    So I ask you, for anyone whos in the know, if you could build a PC with your eyes close (perhaps occasionaly look in the XP inside out book) but generally up on PCs, what would be the next best step to take?

Regards to all
    :eek:

Certifications: BTEC ND in Computer Studies. A+
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Well, that really depends on what you love to do. For someone who love's networking (like myself), then the answer is yes. However, for someone that code's, they will have another "holy grail" in mind. IT is a huge area, with many different types of work. it all depeneds on what you love to do, and where you want to get too.

Just my 2p :D

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. maverik

maverik Bit Poster

Well with reply to my last reply :) I always like the idea of being out and about and fixing/solving problems, when I was at college a PC engineer was a simple role, but there so much more to this line of work, and perhaps due to my lack of ivestigation (or not knowing where to look) I havn't much of a clue where to start. I do like the idea of networking tho.

smart but not smart & gettin on (late 20's) :dry

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, maverik. Welcome to CF. You want somewhere to start? With your background (building a PC with your eyes closed...more or less), I would think the A+ would be a snap. It's also pretty much a foundational cert and expected by a lot of employers when they are hiring for a PC troubleshooter. With your experience and an A+, you might be a tad more marketable.

Certifications after that? Depends on what you are interested in. Probably the Network+ then CCNA if you are a total network guru or want to be. The MCSA/MCSE if you are into Microsoft servers and networks. Lots of variations on a theme but they all depend on what you are interested in doing full-time.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. maverik

maverik Bit Poster

Thanks for that tripwire, also to punkboy101, as he is responding to a similar thread I posted after the one shown, which is similar but I cannot remember what I said.

So it looks like the best thing to do is get the A+ first, my only problem is the issue of cost, I suppose myself and alot of other people would like to do some of the the online / self-study courses that are on offer, but these are so pricy! I mean pay to learn, wow, (thats a new one on me) except for paying for my drivers liscense / lessons. So I would like to take the most efficient route, unlike when I went to college to take an electrical course and spent one whole evening on how to wire a plug! so I lost interest after a few weeks.

Anywayz Ill stick to what the threads about, and does anyone know the cheapest place and how / where to get the A+.

Sorry for being a complete newb.

Regards
    :ohmy

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No worries. We all started somewhere. Newbies are welcome here. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. maverik

maverik Bit Poster

Love to hear from anyone whose done the A+ online course, Im guessing you do all the course work they provide for you and then sit a supervised exam at a location near to you?

:unsure

Can someone point in the right direction of where to go or the best place to contact about this course, I live in Kent / SE London area, cos all the different web pages about courses just gives me a headache.

Thanks
    Mav

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

To find test centres near you, check the following :

VUE.com or Prometric.com.

Also, check out your local college, and also local press, as there may be alternative options for taking the A+ at reduced costs.

However, saying this, please bear in mind that to increase your knowledge, potential and experience, you are gonna have to commit to at least some kinda outlay (like driving lessons, if you want the benfits, you have to pay for them)

Maybe not the ideal answer you were after, Mav, but might as well hit you with the realities of progressing along the cert trail for your ultimate self-improvement.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. maverik

maverik Bit Poster

Your right, Ill have to look into it more, thanks. Ill post back here with any progress.
    :)