Books

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Morpeth, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Morpeth

Morpeth Bit Poster

Hi everyone, I'm new here - but I read through these forums a fair bit when doing my A+ recently (passed two days ago). I'm now self-studying for the MCDST.

One quick question. It's really unclear to me what are the latest and up to date books for MCDST. The top results on Amazon look a bit stale.

I liked the Sybex best for my A+. Can someone who knows tell me what the latest one is? And anyone else, what books did you find most valuable?

Lastly - the exam isnt going to get updated while I'm studying for it, is it? Just wondering as it looks old, and Vista has been about for a while...yet the MS site tells me both exams are in XP.

Any help much appreciated :scrambles

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: LPIC CCNA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, Why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

Congrats on the pass :)

I found the Sybex MCDST book very useful.

The MCDST, like all MS exams, does get updated questions in relation to the subject matter. In the MCDST case it's going to be XP. For Vista there are 2 alternative tracks, the MCITP: CST & the MCITP: EST (these are the MCDST replacements), both of these use the MCTS: Vista cert/exam as their base.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Morpeth

Morpeth Bit Poster

Hello mate - Thanks for your advice.

I'm starting to get really confused as to what cert track to take.

Okay, so the MCITP is the newer version of MCDST - exactly the same but covering Vista rather ran XP?

In that case I had better look at doing MCITP instead of MCDST - except theres nowhere near the same breadth of training materials out there for MCITP...

Please help, if you get a second. And thanks again for your time!

4. Morpeth

Morpeth Bit Poster

anyone? :(

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I wouldn's say that the MCITP is the same as the MCDST (the Vista one). Bear in mind that things have changed quite a but since XP came out.

The MCDST is still a very relevant as XP is going to be around and require support for a long time to come.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada