Books!!

Discussion in 'Server+' started by Malnomates, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I'll be starting my server+ in the not too distant future so I need to plan ahead and look to spend the companies money wisely! I know it's an old and very much asked question but a fair one at that...recommendations for study material for SK0-002 please?

Certifications: A+ Network+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Server+ Exam cram.

Thats about the only one that there is. Not highly rated though. :dry

3. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Just passed my Server+...with the help of the Thomson Course Technology CompTIA accredited Book.

Its printed by ILT Series - ISBN 1-4239-1457-0 (1423914570)

It's authorised by CompTIA and comes with 2 CD's crammed with CBT stuff, from a few hundered exam questions to matching exam objectives to particular parts of the online material and book.

Cost around £30 from the US.

Hope the above helps...if only 1 month after the original post :biggrin

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Got any links - can't find on Amazon.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

I originally purchased it direct from the Thomson Prometric website, however it seems they are either out of stock or are not holding it any longer. :cry:

The book does show available on their US site:

Here

Might be worthwhile contacting Thomson on Monday if you are interested. :rolleyes:

EDIT

Contact number: 0161 868 3800

6. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Just found this company - US based but deliver worldwide -

Link

7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

There is very little material on Server+ and most of it is out of date. I would look on CompTIA's website as they usually recommend reading material.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. hungctt

hungctt New Member

I need the SERVER+ document, can everybody help me?
    Thanks!

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

link to PDF

That's all you need to study to be ready for the exam. Enjoy!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. BosonMichael

Trip... he's looking for "the Server+ document"... I'll leave it up to your imagination what that document is that he is looking for...

What I meant is... that's all the concepts he needs to study. But I wanted to encourage him to click on the link. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. SYN

SYN Bit Poster

Hi All,

Been a way for a while and i have come back to tackle this bad boy...

I looked around for ages trying to find new material or if there was any going to come out in the nr future but nothing!

So i have opted fro the Exam Cram 2 book - also i have downloaded loads of HP stuff for their AIS and ASE Exam which is Server Hardware exam - maybe this will help....

Just printing this out now and will have a read and see if it is any good.

Certifications: VCP,MCTS, MCSE, Security+, CIW-D
    WIP: MCITP
  13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is sorta off-topic for this thread, but here goes anyway.

I looked into the Server+ but was never impressed with it from a knowledge standpoint. To me it reminded me of the Linux+ cert. It covers a vast amount of territory, but at such a thin level that the knowledge is for all intents and purposes useless for every day usage.

I mean, I could pass a Linux+ cert and be absolutely useless in a Linux environment as there isn't enough depth of knowledge there to do anything for me other than than to know some things exist. It seems to me that my time and energy would be much better spent in other areas.

Am I incorrect in my assessment of the Server+ cert?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. BosonMichael

Sometimes, just knowing things exist is enough to lead you in the correct direction when searching for a solution. :)

15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If you're looking for books, I signed up here recently.

I'm not sure how many CF members know about this or have signed up, but I think it's great value for money (considering how much I try to read, how little spare equity I have, and the fact I have no spare space left on my shelf).

Plus they've got a free trial on at the moment.

They have masses of Certification books. Sign up and have a browse, and see what you think :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. ffreeloader

This is true, but if a person's knowledge is that thin it takes a long time figure things out sometimes. I just think a person could get better value for their time and money in studying other areas.

17. BosonMichael

This is true... but as you know, the ______+ certifications indicate that a person has only the foundations of knowledge on that subject... they're not meant to show that you're an expert. :) To indicate a more advanced level of knowledge regarding a particular vendor's technology, one should pursue a certification other than ______+.

I guess what I'm saying is... I agree with your general assessment of the depth of the Server+ certification, but slightly disagree with your assessment of the certification's usefulness. :)

18. ffreeloader

OK. I guess I'm just looking at things from a different perspective. I just think that if something isn't going to make me useful in the day-to-day world, then my time and money is better spent elsewhere.

19. BosonMichael

Knowledge is knowledge, and certifications are certifications. Knowledge is what makes you useful in the day-to-day world. Although you may learn something that is real-world useful while studying for certifications, certifications exist to impress an employer, and that's about it.

20. ffreeloader

The problem is, and it's the school of hard knocks that has taught me this, certifications don't impress anyone. Knowledge, experience, skills both soft and technological, desire and willingness to work, track record, and attitude are all given much more weight than certs. If you score high in those areas and 0 in certs you'll find a job much faster than if you score high in certs and low in those areas.