Books for MCSE ?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by brick-it, Feb 12, 2010.

1. brick-it

brick-it Bit Poster

What books to complement the CBT for the MCSE, starting with 70-680 then 70-290 etc.. i used the cisco official guide for my ccna, they were quite good and came with free exam simulation. thnx

Certifications: HNC comp, C&G Electronics, CCNA voice
    WIP: CCNA security
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

The MS press study guides are normally a good place to start!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I agree with the MS Press Books post, well worth having.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. brick-it

brick-it Bit Poster

Thanks for that, i have PC's and cisco equipment to set up a network, is there a 'training version' of server 2003/8 ?

5. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

I think you can get a copy of 2003 in one of the Press Books 120 evaluated trial? Correct me if I''m wrong people.

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. brick-it

brick-it Bit Poster

What order would you recomend, i asume to aim for the MCSE - but get the MCSA on the way ? And i remember there once being a networking essentials module.. i guess they dropped it.

8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

The requirements are spelled out on the MS website and can be found here for the MCSA and here fot the MCSE.

you can gain the MCSA on the way and a lot of people do, for the MCSA you need:

for the MCSE:
    So you can how one would carry over for the other.

Networking Essentials? Do you mean the beast?

As for the question of the techne for training, it is good value but it is not cheap, you get training versions with the MS press books and they give you 90 days (I think) without registering, at which point you can reinstall.

Both are valid options, technet is expensive and will continue to be as you have to renew it each year - but is a
    great tool.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It depends on your interpretation of expensive, I just renewed my Technet at a cost of £164, I personally don't think that's expensive at all, not when you can find Win 7 Ultimate for more then that in the market place, never mind Office or any of the Server OS's\Apps. I run Windows 2003, 2008 R2, SCCM and a host of other stuff and all it costs me from a software point of view is £164 per year, great cost saving in my books.