Books and Resources

Discussion in 'A+' started by tripwire45, Feb 10, 2005.

1. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

Nice one :thumbleft

WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks. I like the royalties. :biggrin

I checked the Professor Messer site at CertGuard.com and it's a legit site. Just can't be too careful. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

nah I was eating a curry whilst reading it and I spilled a bit, but didn't notice. I went to work then came back and my dog had torn it to pieces :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Yup, did the same thing too - like you said, never can be too careful. :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  5. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

Lol trip has a loyal fan :biggrin even read it while eatting

6. xF-dc

xF-dc New Member

Just the right topic i have been looking for :D but i guess i know some of this material already.

7. Barker

Barker New Member

Hello everybody!

I'm a newby on the cert road, but I think I've come to the right place.

This thread confirms the amazon reviews re. Mike Meyers "All-in-one" A+ cert guide, which I've used as my main study material.
    Seems I just need to get plenty of practice exams under my belt now!

Thanks to Kapro for that valuable insight!(#66)

Could anyone who's done the new exam(s) (601 & 602 essentials & it tech option) tell me how Vista heavy it is, as the Mike Meyers book doesn't cover it?

And when's the Vindaloo flavour edition of "PC Tech Streetsmarts" coming out? mmmm

Oh yes, and any advice on getting discount vouchers for the exams as even "The Alphageek" Mike M. says "no-one should pay full price to do A+" or does that just apply to U.S.?

Ta

Certifications: A+ (SNtials & IT Tech),CISCO IT SNtials.
    WIP: CompTIA Network+
  8. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

It doesn't touch on Vista as it was released after the exams were written before. Its mostly win 2000/XP.

As for vouchers, I used Gracetech for both of mine. No problems at all. Just make sure you buy international vouchers (I am in the UK and did my exams at Pearson VUE)

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  9. Barker

Barker New Member

Thanks for that Metalstar.
    I'd read on other forums/fora? that there was some sort of problem using the international vouchers in this country(UK).
    Getting the vouchers for Essentials & IT tech through Gracetech = £220 against £228 plus 15% VAT= a £42 ($50?) saving. That's good enough for me!
    Reassuring about the Vista element too as I haven't had much exposure to that. Wasn't sure how much they tweaked the questions as it's been a year since the 6th edition came out, and he mentions getting gen'd up on Vista just in case. How long since you did yours?

Barker

Certifications: A+ (SNtials & IT Tech),CISCO IT SNtials.
    WIP: CompTIA Network+
  10. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Passed mine a week last Friday! I just used the Mike Meyers AIO and the videos at http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/free-a-plus-videos

I didn't have a problem with either of my exams using International vouchers. I took both of them at a local Pearson VUE centre so I can't vouch for Prometric.

It would be a major problem if there was an issue with international vouchers in the UK as they are our only option! I expect the things you have read were just isolated incidents.

WIP: Network+
  11. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. PoshBlue

PoshBlue Bit Poster

the free A+ training video is still there but you need to go to the home page and then its at the top left. seems pretty good actually.

WIP: A+, MCDST
  14. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

Hey guys, im just going to start my A+ now and i have read this thread and basically found it will be beneficial to buy the Mike Myers All in one.

I dont know much about the A+ exams as of yet, but before i do my digging, does this book become outdated at all?

15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Generally, no. MM releases new editions regularly.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  16. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

Thank you very much!

have you done ur a+ and did you use mm all in one?

17. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

hey guys sorry for being such a pain in the ass but i am on amazon and there are 2 books:

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition by Mike Meyers

and

A+ Specializations Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (Exams 220-603 & 220-604): Exams 220-603 and 220-604 by Michael Meyers (which is out in march 2010)

if i buy the top one will i need to buy the new one in 2010 in order to complete my exams?

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The 6th edition is still relevant, a new edition will be out before the 2009 objectives are released.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Im about to book the test centre for the 601 exam from Peasron VUE but have just noticed that from the list of possible exams there is a CompTIA A+ Essentials (2007 Edition) Exam and the (2009) exam

Im confused here as i have been under the impression that i have been studying for the 2006 edition, studying from the sixth edition AIO Mike Myers book. There isnt a 2006 edition on the list of exams that can be taken

Can anyone shed any light on this

WIP: MCDST, N+
  20. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Suggest you start a new thread for this - you might stanmd a better chance of an answer from someone who will know

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)