Booking The A+ Exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by Special Brew, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Hi,

I've finally got the money to book my A+ exam, but I've come to a problem.. I haven't been able to study the Mike Meyers Book for a long time, so I would like to start reading the book from scratch before taking the exam.

So, the questions I have are..

How long should I give myself to study this book, while watching Proffesor messer video's before taking the exam. I understand any answer would be a guess, but i'd like just an average time it takes somebody to study and be ready.

and.. should i do both exams on the same day? Essentials & Practical.

Also, Where can i book this exam? I don't want to use pearson vue or prometric to 'buy' the exam, as that's much more expensive, I'd rather use a 'international voucher' for £105 each, but would they accept a pre paid international voucher? - I was thinking of getting this from GraceTechSolutions, Anybody heard of this website??

I look forward to your reply as I wanna get this booked by the end of this weekend.

Special Brew!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I used gracetech to buy my vouchers you still have to book through pearsonvue though (make sure you buy the international voucher). You just use the voucher code you get of gractech after 24 hours.

I cant say how long it should take you but my question is why havent you been studying whilst waiting until you can afford the exam?

I did both mine on the same day it depends on how confident you are with the material.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Special Brew

Yeah, I was going to buy the vouchers from GradeTech, then book the exam with pearson vue.
    I've spoken to pearson vue, they are unsure if they accept the vouchers from gracetech, stating they do not know this third party?

I studied a lot of this book, but got distracted with priorities, courses from job centre, Uni, but now i'm working and finished the first module of uni and start my next one Oct 1 2011.

I want to book the exam because I know for a fact I'll just fine myself excuses to not do it one day, i need an objective.. But don't want to give myself too little time and rush and fail.

Would you read the book like a novel? Even the parts that go out of the needed material? it has sections that says this part is not needed.

Special Brew!

4. greenbrucelee

5. Special Brew

Didn't know that, Thanks.

Good advice, I'll be taking notes for sure!

I just don't know when to book it for =S

6. greenbrucelee

book it ASAP then you have a goal to work towards.

7. Special Brew

How long should I give myself? The average time it takes to self study?

8. greenbrucelee

it cant be answered. Some people take in information and learn concepts faster than others. I was ready for both my exams after about 2 months but due to financial reasons I couldn't take them so I just kept reading and practicing until I could.

Some people may find that they can just skim the book then take the exams some people may find they need additional material to help them.

Why not try one of the pactice exams that comes on the cd and see what score you get without studying this will give you an indication of how long you should study for before trying a practice exam again.

9. Special Brew

Cheers Buddy.

10. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

I think you should do both on same day, most questions apply to both exams (they did when i took them) concentrate on: chips, ram, and operating system.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  11. Special Brew

Thanks I'll probably do that then =]

12. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

When buying from Gracetech are you required to purchase 2 exam vouchers? (i.e. Essentials and Practical Application) or is there a Voucher code you can get which includes both?

I registered on the Pearson VUE website and have seen that I can book both my exams in a continuous block of time and there is also a space where I can enter Voucher codes.
    If I AM required to purchase the Essentials and Practical Application vouchers seperately would it be a simple case of entering BOTH voucher codes into the VUE website one after the other?

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  13. greenbrucelee

you can buy as many international vouchers as you want. If you want to buy one then buy one.

If you buy both then you will receive two vocuher codes and when you book the A+ exams you book them both seperately anyway so you just use the voucher codes relating to those exams.

When booking on pearsonvue you do not use one order form for two exams you have to purchase both seperatley but you can book them for the same day if a space is available at your chosen test center.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  14. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

Thanks for the info gbl!

Also I just found this: "If you have multiple voucher or promotion codes, enter one code and click the button. Then enter another code and click the button" at the bottom of VUE "Review Appoinment Details" screen.

Just emptied out my PayPal account paying for them! (£210) :cry:

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT