Book vs. Online course - re: cost and 'ease of learning'

Discussion in 'A+' started by SamuelJC, Feb 9, 2010.

1. SamuelJC

SamuelJC New Member

Hi all,

I'm going to start studying for the A+ exams, and am confused as to which method is the best.

I've seen various online courses, such as:

The A+ and N+ bundle from ICS,
    The Testout A+ course,
    And the Testout CompTIA bundle.

There are many more out there. Do you have a favourite?

There are also various books, all costing much much less than these courses. What do these courses provide that the books do not? Can I buy one or two books, read them both, and then pass both exams?

Which medium is better? The books seem to often include a CD with practise exames etc, but the courses also provide video (which I learn much better from compared to books). Is this worth the extra money?

That bundle offered by Testout looks very good, especially since they seem to offer a guarantee of passing. That must be worth a lot of money. Has anyone dealt with them and experienced this guarantee?

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Samuel.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

I tried Testout before and didn't really care for it. Not sure what exactly it was just that it was called Testout and it was software that mainly played videos and had quizzes and stuff too.

I used Mike Meyer's All-In-One book and if had a choice between a free book and free Testout I would pick the book. I find sitting at my computer to be distracting compared to being able to sit back in a lawn chair outside with a book.

You said you learn better from video though so don't let me tell you that a book is better then a video. It just is for me.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  4. SamuelJC

SamuelJC New Member

Thanks Dan, for your opinion on Testout. Could you please tell me about the quality of the material in the course?

I know that we all learn differently, but videos of somebody talking me through things is probably the ideal way for me to learn. I can imagine myself getting tired of a book, especially if it was nothing but facts and figures page after page.

It looks very good on their website, but I guess all online courses do.

Though the cost is important too. If I can get through with two books, then why spend money on a few videos?

Has anyone experienced a bundle like the one in my first post from Testout? I checked that each course was up-to-date and they were. Are new exams on the horizon for the A+, N+, or S+? I'd like to get a bundle, as I want to get all three qualifications, but not if they will become out-of-date before I get to study them.

Thank you :biggrin

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The current 600 series A+ retires in August where as the 700 series is running along side it at the minute but will be the main version from August.

The N+ recently change to a new version so wont change again for a while as did the security+.

If you want video training I recommend Learnsmart and you will taught by Mike Meyers himself who is the King of compTIA and he knows his stuff too.

I saw some demos of testout on youtube and thought they were pants.

However I would not do video training as a rule because I find reading the book and taking important notes down or highlighting important parts a better way to study and retain the information.

If you want to know about cost, you can do the A+,N+ and security + including books and exam fees for about £500 whereas video training will probably cost that before paying for the exams

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?