Book Resources for Network+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Simonvm, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Since there are countless topics being started asking for book advice, I thought it might be easier to have one big topic that contains the most common ones.

Please, if you have used a book that is not mentioned here, post some general info and perhaps a small review.

These are the books I used:

CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition

[​IMG]

# Hardcover: 704 pages
    # Publisher: McGraw-Hill Osborne; 4 edition (1 July 2009)
    # Language English
    # ISBN-10: 0071614877
    # ISBN-13: 978-0071614870

Amazon UK link

Description: Get complete coverage of all the material included on the latest release of the CompTIA Network+ exam inside this fully updated, comprehensive resource. Written by CompTIA certification and training expert Mike Meyers, this authoritative exam guide features learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter, exam tips, practice questions, and in-depth explanations. Designed to help you pass the CompTIA Network+ exam with ease, this definitive volume also serves as an essential on-the-job reference.

Review: The perfect book to get a good understanding of the Network+ Objectives. Everything is well laid out, taught in a very comprehensible way. It also included a very good practice exam. Recommended by most CF members!

Mike Meyers' CompTIA Network+ Certification Passport, Third Edition

[​IMG]

# Paperback: 464 pages
    # Publisher: McGraw-Hill Osborne; 3 edition (1 Aug 2009)
    # Language English
    # ISBN-10: 007161530X
    # ISBN-13: 978-0071615303

Amazon UK link

Description: Get on the fast track to becoming CompTIA Network+ certified with this affordable, portable study tool. Inside, networking expert Glen Clarke guides you on your career path, providing expert tips and sound advice along the way. With an intensive focus on only what you need to know to pass the CompTIA Network+ exam, this certification passport is your ticket to success on exam day.

Review: If you already have a good understanding of network technology this might be the book for you. Although it might not be as amusing to read as the AIO book, it covers all topics in a nicely condensed way. Perfect as a companion book.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  2. Matt28LFC

Matt28LFC New Member

Good idea dude, theres always lots of threads asking for this information.

I've just recently started the Network+ and am reading the Mike Meyers All in One that you've recommended and have to say im enjoying it so far, only at chapter 5 (Just bought it) but love his writing style, decided to carry on with CompTIA certs over MCDST because of it lol

Anyway, good thread

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: CompTIA Network+
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Well, the Comptia exams don't go very deep into operating systems so if you really want to know Windows, definitely go for a MCDST or MCTS/MCITP for Windows Vista/7 certification.

I have to say, at my job, A+/Network+ aren't actually recommended or required, while MCDST was something they did ask me to do. But ofcourse, it all depends on what path you want to follow... Keep working on Network+, take the exam in a couple of weeks and don't stop studying afterwards! :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

Sybex CompTIA network+ delux study guide

book.jpg

Hardcover: 888 pages
    Publisher: John Wiley & Sons; Har/Cdr St edition (29 April 2009)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 0470427485
    ISBN-13: 978-0470427484

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Network-Deluxe-Study-Guide/dp/0470427485

Description
    More than 220,000 network professionals have achieved the Network+ certification since its inception, second only to the Cisco Certified Network Associate certification. This hardcover edition includes Sybex CompTIA Network+ Virtual Lab network simulator plus four additional bonus exams and 100 additional flashcards and is fully updated for the first revision of the exam since 2005. The guide contains concise information on security essentials and standards, using practical examples and insights drawn from real–world experience and covers key exam topics including network technologies, media and topologies, devices, management, tools, and security.

Review
    this is a physically big book. that means its not great for on the train or keeping in a bag. but on its plus side it is very comprehensive. that has its plus and minus points as this goes above and beyond the information that i needed to pass the exam. it may overwhelm some. DVD is good and has some good extra on it and its worth picking up just for that. overall i would say 8/10

Certifications: MCDST, Network+ C&G NVQ lvl 3
    WIP: 70-682 I think :P
  5. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice Simonvm. I just bought the AIO N+ off Amazon. Really enjoyed working towards the A+ using Meyers' book, so I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into the N+ one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP
  6. Matt28LFC

Matt28LFC New Member

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: CompTIA Network+
  7. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

I just wanted to check something out: I am with TP and they sent me the Mike Meyers 601 and 602 books about 10 weeks before the CompTIA A+ (600 series) deadline of 31 August 2010 (which annoyed me as that close to the ending of the exam I believe they should have been sending out the 2009 books, especially as the exam had been out a long time before 31 August 2010 and presumably so had Mike Meyers ‘All in one’ (701 and 702) A+ books).

Well, now I am on the Network+ exam and they have sent ‘Mike Meyers CompTIA Network+ guide to Managing and Troubleshooting Networks’ (second edition) and just wanted to check out I am using a decent (and up-to-date) book. When I looked on Mike Meyers Total Seminars website I could not even see the book they have sent me listed:

http://www.totalsem.com/products/netplus.php

There is something similar called Mike Meyers' Network+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting Networks Lab Manual (2009 Objectives)’ but that is a different book to what they have sent me.

In short I just want to get myself to a good start (using the correct books) unlike I did with the A+ books, can anyone tell me if the book I am using is OK and they have not stuffed me a second time?

Certifications: A+, N+
  8. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

Hmm, this turned out to be slightly trickier than it first looked. :blink From what I can tell using your link and searching Amazon, the 2nd ed is the most up to date revision of that book, including the 2009 objectives. If you click on the link to the "2009" book on the totalsem website, you'll see that it is in fact the 2nd ed. It looks like the totalsem website is using an image of the 1st ed book when referring to the 2nd ed, which may be the source of the confusion...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP
  9. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

Thanks for spending some time looking into it quuuaid. However, I think you are refering to the Managing and Troubleshooting Networks Lab Manual which I think is a different book to the Managing and Troubleshooting Networks which I have been sent (by the TP) and is not even listed at Total Seminars.

Certifications: A+, N+