Book Recommendation

Discussion in 'A+' started by flex22, Sep 8, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I was walking down the corridor at work this morning and I spotted a computer guy.

I just started a conversation with him, which lasted near 45 mins.I wouldn't let the poor guy go.I kept bombarding him with questions.
    He was completely sound though.I told him about the job I was going for and we talked a lot about it.

He told me that they'll give me a comp to fix as part of the interview, exactly like what Si had to do in his interview, fixing RAM, and cables etc.

Anyway, let's just say that I'm feeling rather happy because it was a most interesting conversation and I'm feeling more confident than ever about my chances of getting the job.

So, why are you writing this here flex?

Well during the conversation the guy said that the A+ is an excellent cert to have and he said that I should get a book and read up on it.

I haven't looked into the A+ before but I'm aware that it's hardware stuff.

During my studies I have had to learn about IRQ's, DMA and much of the stuff that is involved in A+.

However, I am by no means confident in the hardware area.

Can you please recommend the best book for A+ that I can get my hands on, fast.

Thanks.

Success this way please :arrow:

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hey Flex,

NITLC provide you with Mike Myers A+ book and from what I gather its the best on the market.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307 look here and follow the link to amazon for prices.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

The one that everyone at nitlc use is call

A+ Certification,
    Author: Mike Meyers

It's known as the A+ Bible and is approx 3 inches thick, it covers everything that you need to know for the Core hardware exam and the OS exam, however, it does come at a price of around £45 - £50 try looking on ebay for a second hand copy the current release is the 4th edition.

It's always parked on my desk for reference purposes

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'll check the Meyers one out, thanks.

Do you know what the Sybex one is like, if it's any good?

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've just seen the book at the usual place that I buy books from online.

It's reduced by 25%, to £34.

I think I'll order it new.

There's probably stuff in it which I'm already familiar with, but I think this is what I need in order to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the recommendation.I'd never heard of this book before so cheers.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The Meyers book has long been considered the standard as far as studying for the A+..I highly recommend it, not only because you learn a lot about hardware, and the fact that it's written specifically to address the cert, but also because it's very readable. Meyers strikes me as a "good-ol'-boy" Texan who really knows how to talk to people and bring a subject home without talking over their heads. Get the book.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

FLex,

Agreed on all the above, but I just thought I'd add my 2€

It's more than just the pure Hardware of the PC - as of the 3rd edition (the one I used), you have to have a fairly comprehensive knowledge of DOS, Win9x and Windows 2000 (not sure if thats changed with the 4th ed.)

Bear in mind that the A+ qualification is actually 2 separate exams, one Core Hardware, the other Operating Systems Technologies. Just so's you know what you're going for. (Though, don't let that scare you off, it's really little more than the basics CompTIA are interested in)

Saying that, it's definitely a qual that anyone dealing with the "fix-it's" of computers should have.

HTH

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I bought the DOS for dummies book the other day to learn all the DOS stuff, so looks like that'll come in handy.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to do the A+ exam because I'm concentrating on the MCP's.

I should have done the A+ before the MCP's but that's just me, doing everything backwards as usual.

I just want to get a more solid foundation in the hardware area.

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO CompTIA A+ is the one Flex, some heavy info but it will really give you a deeper understanding of the insides of a PC. I'd recommend it to any wouldbe technician.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  10. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Flex there is an online book seller I use that is quite cheap, usually the best prices I can find anyway. The only problem is that the url is at work not here, i'll post it tomorrow if you haven't already bought the book. The Myers one is good but you do need persistance to get through it, it's not a light read by any means!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Luton,thanks but I've already ordered it.

I should be getting it tomorrow.

I'm not going to plod along and work my way slowly through it.I'm going to use it to go over areas that I'm weak in.
    I'm not studying for the A+ at the moment because I have 70-210 and 215 to contend with.

Thanks.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

A couple of points, Flex,

When that book "arrives", your gonna know about it, ie BANG on the door-
    mat !

I'd suggest that you keep it for reference only right now, because if you're committed to your MCPs, then starting to read the A+ may easily put you off your original materials.

The A+ is a fantastic book, and very readable (despite what some, inc me, may say about Mike Meyers).

My point ?

Either commit to the A+ now and do MCP work later, or vice versa - I WOULD NOT try and combine them. They are different areas of expertise altogether (although equally valuable).

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I have to concentrate on MS certs because my course runs out next December, so no time to lose.

What's up with Meyers?

I thought the book was only 1200 pages.My mastering Windows 2000 Server book is near 1600 pages long.

Anyway, I'll just photoread it.It should only take about ten minutes. :study

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Not a thing wrong with Mike Meyers - I'm sure everyone will agree !

Just that I measured the book as being 2 and 3/4 inches thick, and I read it twice, so he must be good ???

Glad to hear your focused on MS, Flex ! stick with it and get the letters MCP after your name, then go look at it ...

15. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Just want to correct Jakamoko on one point. It won't band on your doormat, not unless you have a very very wide letterbox!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  16. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

OK thanks.

I'll just make sure that the cat aint sat in the porch.

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

LOL :!: :!: :!:

Must apologise, Luton - you're right !!! I didn't actually hear the BANG for the sound of crashing glass, as the Interlink Guy launched the book thru' the window in anger !!!!!

:P :P :P :P

18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

The books just arrived.

I've managed to haul in up to my room, and on first inspection, it looks the business.

I know this will help me loads.

Thanks for the advice people.