1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book recommendation - summary of objectives?

Discussion in 'A+' started by m877grey, Mar 6, 2012.

1. m877grey

m877grey New Member

Hello all.

Just starting to work towards the A+ and I am wanting a book to study along too. I have read the recommendations here and all look good, however a lot of the books are full of background info on the concepts involved. I am looking for a book that focuses just on the terminology and key concepts with out all the waffle in between?

i.e. I understand about buses and socket types etc... but need to know more just about their names/speeds etc...

If anyone understands what I want and can recommend a book, please do so!

2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I would recommend the Pearson Exam Cram for the "key concepts" of the exam. Top it up with CBT Nuggets or Professor Messer and you should ace the test!

Certifications: AS Computing, A+, Network+, 70-680, 70-410
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Mike Meyers also does a Passport version of the A+ exam - this strips out the history of the technology and pretty much gets straight to the point.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. WalterMinty

WalterMinty Bit Poster

I know it sounds boring, but having some of the background stuff can help - Read through it all once or twice, don't worry if it all doesn't sink in. Then go back through the book with a highlighter and highlight just the key phrases or words. Then just read through the highlighted stuff from then on.

For me the best way was to split the book into 7 parts (literally split the book, so you end up with 7 separate books). and did one part each day of the week. That way i wasn't staring at a HUGE book, just a small paperback size that was full of highlighted key phrases.

Doing this kind of limits the options of selling the book on when your done though!!

Certifications: CompTia A+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I LOL'd :D

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. m877grey

m877grey New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, have ordered myself a copy of Pearson Exam Cram.

Thanks again.