Book Bundles

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by syntax_error, Nov 15, 2004.

1. syntax_error

syntax_error Bit Poster

I've been searching the Internet all day for mcse books I took Jakamoko's advice and checked out sybex and mspress I'm not 100% sure on the rules advertising on these boards so I didn't post the links of the shops where I found these books (is ok to link shops where to buy cheap books ? ) I found 3 decent bundles for 210 215 216 217 they were;

Exam Cram2 £53
    Sybex version2 (with CD's) £79
    Microsoft £98

I have a few questions as I have never bought a book in my life :oops:

If I buy from the states will I have to pay tax as these prices only included shipping.

Money unfortunately is a issue if I was to get Microsoft bundle I would have to buy them indivualy and over time. I could stretch to the sybex bundle just have to have egg and chips a few nights this week :lol:

How do sybrex/Microsoft books read, are they hard going ? I read one of the old versions of the exam cram 215 book it was ok but doesn't go into much detail so I would assume these better closer the exam ? hence the name exam cram :rolleyes:

Last thing is do you know where I can get these books cheaper ? Could send me a PM if not able to post it on the boards.

Thx in advance guys

Certifications: mcp server2k
    WIP: Network Infrastructure
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

You can advertise to places that will help other on the board. I buy my books from www.amazon.co.uk, www.compman.co.uk and an American book shop http://www.superbookdeals.com/cgi-bin/home.cgi. I find that buy from superbookdeals usually is cheaper even though they ship from America. Just put the amount in a currency converter online and it usually ends up being a lot cheaper.

As for the books I personally bought the Microsoft Core Book Package. It's more expensive that Sybex but they produce the MCSE exams so I went off the idea that they must know what they are talking about. Saying that I like Sybex I think they produce good training books (A+ & Network+). I haven't read the MCSE books but have been told that the Microsoft ones can be a bit dry but are probably the best MCSE books to learn from. What I do when buying a book is to log onto www.amazon.com and look at the book, usually people leave reviews which gives a rough indication of whether a book is any good or not.

Hope this helps...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

just to let you know syntax_error, you can get the Microsoft books for roughly £69 from http://www.superbookdeals.com/cgi-bin/home.cgi ISBN: 0735619530. I did a quick currency conversion. It can take upto 4 weeks to be delivered though mine have always taken around 2-3 weeks.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'd have to say the Sybex and Que (Exam Cram and Exam Training Guide series) books are FAR better than the MS press ones, they are easier to read and i feel alot better written, i've hardly touched my 110 quid MSPress kit after reading through them, i'm now using Sybex and Que books

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I would highly recommend www.compman.co.uk

I havebought from them in the past and found them very competitive pricewise and the books were delivered the same week. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Jonesos

Jonesos Bit Poster

Over the years I have too have found that Sybex are much easier to read than MS. The way Microsoft presents their books is so dry that I read it whenever I have insomnia.

My vote is for Sybex.

Mike

Certifications: MCSE(2K3, 2K),MCSA(2K3, 2K),MCP(NT4)
    WIP: MSc, CCNA, SCNA