bluetooth keyboard with integrated pointing device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clyde, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

anyone know where I can get one of these.. I'm struggling to get one..

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

have you tried the looking in the thread here on CF, cant remember the name but its something like where do you buy your hardware from?

3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I had a look at the usual suspects, and barring a keytronic keyboard on ebuyer that looked massive there was nothing. I'm looking for a keyboard for my mac mini, for the living room, so has to be wireless and have a built in pointer to cut down clutter and so on..

Of course, living in Ireland, many vendors won't deliver or charge a fortune to do so...

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Clyde,

I have one of these. It's not Bluetooth, only infrared, but apart from that I think it's great. I like the positioning of the mouse pad and buttons because they allow you to use them with your thumbs kind of like a giant control pad. It's not too big either.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's odd that there aren't many people taking advantage of blue-tooth for wireless k/boards and mice. I use my Media Centre keyboard which is also infrared like Baba's. The only hassle is that it gets a bit quirky if the sun is shining through the window. Which is often the case here in QLD 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Bluetooth has got a reputation for being a pig to setup. Add to that the high cost of the chips, and you can see why the manufacturers stick to cheaper and easier-to-setup wireless or infra-red. In fact nearly all the cordless keyboard/mice combos being sold in the fairs at the moment are 'ordinary' wireless.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I just bought a Saitek gamming keyboard... and made sure it was wired!!. I dont like the idea of wireless or bluetooth keyboards and mice as you need to change batteries when they run out.. and i never have any spares or dont want to be hunting round for them when im in the middle of Hitman killing ppl.... I mean busy typing up a new document for work!!!:oops:

As for a keyboard like the ones Clyde is after... I havent seen many around even tho i think thier a good idea, Saves space and helps reduce RSI.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

wired is no good... I want this for the living room to control my mac mini media center...

Baba, cheers for that one... I'd like to avoid infra red if I could, less boxes and cable sticking out of the mac, but it's a better bet than I have now.. not sure about the location of the pointer on it also...

I gues what I'd really like is a keyboard like on a laptop, with a nipple built in cos I hate pads ...

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

sorry did he just say built in nipple? :eek:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

down boy!

the nipple is the little knob in a laptops keyboard... *sheesh* mind in the gutter :rolleyes: :biggrin

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Nipples and little knobs........where is this thread going :rolleyes:

...............I'll get my coat :(

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Just had some stuff in from ebuyer.

How is THIS

Any good??

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That is a rip off of my Microsoft Media Centre keyboard - see below the original..

[​IMG]

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Baba O'Riley

How about trackballs Clyde? There is a version of the keyboard I posted with a ball instead of a pad.

15. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

cheers aj.. I may have to consider something like it. Baba, I'm not so keen on stroking balls all day *g* ...

I find trackballs awkward to use. I'm thinking that my ideal media center keyboard doesn't exist.

ah well...

16. Baba O'Riley

Probaly neither does anyones ideal media center PC.:D