Bloodhound virus & annoying Spyware & Addware

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Alex Wright, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Glad everything is sorted mate. I often find restoring the PC before doing some more advanced troubleshooting can get you outta jail! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Amen to that!

I had to restore my Media Centre PC yesterday, as after a power cut it was asking for windows to be activated again. It has been running for 18 months and had already been activated once :blink

Hence a restore sorted out that stupid problem.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi,

Sorry everyone back again to ask one last final question. My PC seems to be back to normal so am I to assume that everything is now OK. It's just that I've heard terrible storys of these virus's coming back to bite people in the ass!! :devilflam

Thanks

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - get hold of a copy of Adaware (be care full of the spelling!) from here. You want the free one. Keep this up to date and run it occasionaly. It isn't the best one out there, but covers a lot of the major nasties.

Second - make sure you are getting the Windows updates if you are on Win2k or XP. Each month this includes a scan app from Microsoft which is a useful extra.

Get hold of Zonealarm free from Zonelabs and replace the built-in firewall if on XP, or just install it if otherwise.

Stop using IE and OE for browsing and email - those two are responsible for a very large number of trojans being downloaded to PCs. Use Firefox to replace IE, and Thunderbird to replace OE. (Some people will suggest other alternatives such as Opera and the like - they will be good as well).

Doing the above will hugely reduce the likelyhood of problems reoccuring. The most important thing is *be vigilant*. i.e. don't click on that email claiming you have won a lottery you have never heard of!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+