Blank Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ellie Jane, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

While cleaning the inside of one of the kids computers I removed both of the hard drives to replace the IDE cable. When I put everything back together and powered the system up I just get a blank screen. I've tried a different monitor on it, and changed the graphics card, still no change. I know the IDE cable is fine and I can't think of anything else.

Anyone got any suggestions?

2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I know it sounds daft and you have probably already done it but check all the cables are pushed in fully (power and IDE). It should'nt make a difference but you could swap the position of the hard drives round on the IDE cable and check that it is plugged into the IDE1 slot on the motherboard.

do you get lights on the front of the computer and can you hear the hard drives spin up at all at power up.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a few more ideas to try but in the meantime try out the above.

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

I've tried switching the hard drives around, ensured that the IDE cables are in correctly and that everything is pushed in properly. Everything is powering up properly but it's as if the monitor isn't connected, nothing happens on screen at all, which is why I tried replacing the graphics card

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

If the graphics card is PCI try moving it to a different slot and see if that helps

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

On a few old machines we had at a place a worked this would happen if we had the hard disk on the end of the IDE cable and not the middle (or was it the other way around? :oops: ) anyway. Do you hear the POST beep when you start the PC try removing the IDE cables from the HD and CD ROM an see if it will POST then you may be able to find the cause of the problem.

HTH

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

I've removed the HDDs and CD ROM and removed their IDE cables, the is no POST at all

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Checked the CMOS battery hasn't been dislodged ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

So your getting no POST at all with the IDE in and out. Is the fan of the power supply unit spinning when you hit the power button?

9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

no post sound like power to the mobo. Power leads attached? power supply still ok or plugged in fan in PS turning?

just a few thoughts

one other thing is the CPU seated okand the cooling fan turning. Could be worth taking the CPU out and re-seating it.

hey its worth a try.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

CMOS battery is in ok, PSU fan spinning and power is going to the mobo as the CPU fan is spinning ok

11. AJ

Stil worth reseating the CPU. If that's ok then it does look a bit terminal, either Mobo or CPU. If you have a spare, try replacing the CPU.

HTH

12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SO power to the PSU and CPU fan but no post, have you checked the RAM is seated well, try moving the RAM to another spare slot if you have one.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

What do the lights on the drives do (looking from the front) when you power on, EJ ?

14. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

I removed the CPU fan and the CPU and reseated them, I moved the RAM earlier. When I power up the CD ROM drive light flashes for a few seconds then goes out as usual but the floppy drive light is staying on for as long as it's powered up.

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Ellie Jane - there's the answer, I reckon - the IDE to the floppy is the wrong way around. sure sign, the floppy light stays on, hence I asked

16. AJ

have you checked that the ide and the power cable are the correct way around on the FDD.

17. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

Changed floppy IDE round and now the light doesn't come on at all

18. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

Not to be outdone by a dam fool pc I've been trying everything I can to solve the prob, but a lack of display doesn't make things easy. Then it hit me, the CMOS battery hadn't been dislodged but it might be too low on power to be doing it's job so I flashed the BIOS to see what would happen and "BINGO" a POST bleep, the monitor flickered into life and a message on screen said CMOS battery low :D.

I'm off to get a new CMOS battery, thanks for the suggestions lads and lassies.

T.T.F.N
    Ellie Jane

19. AJ

Well there you go. :D

Keep us informed

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What caused you to replace the IDE cable in the first place? Was there something going on with the computer that caused you to replace the cable? If there were previous symptoms, they may be related to the current dilemna. If there were prior symptoms, what were they?

A couple of things come to mind: Check the monitor again...not just the connections but the contrast controls and such. I know it may be ridiculous, but if the brightness controls were accidently adjusted all the way down, you won't get a monitor image but everything else will be fine. Also, when all else fails after a hardware change, try putting it back the way it was before the change. In this case, that means putting the original cable back in the way it was when the machine was still working.

One more thing...were you wearing a ESD strap or similar protection when you went into the box or did you equalize your static potential by touching the frame before putting your hands inside. Even a very minor electrostatic discharge inside a machine can cause a catastrophic failure of computer circuitry.

Just the few thoughts I can come up with over my first cup of coffee for the day (7 hours earlier than forum time, here). Let us know how this gets on.

EDIT: Oops...Sorry. :oops: I didn't see there was a "page 2" to the thread before shooting my big mouth off. You've already gotten the whole thing sorted out. Good job. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+