BlackBerry Shift - to move or not to move

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by B.HopeZion, Feb 9, 2012.

1. B.HopeZion

B.HopeZion Bit Poster

Hey guys,

Hope all is good.

I'm a happy IPhone 4 user - finally got one cheap from a friend. Was never really attracted to IPhones but after getting it I can say that I have been pleasantly surprised.

Recently I've agreed with work with a friend to set up a company with him. A novelty idea came up that in order to make the business sound successful we need to issue all those who work (volunteer) [me and him lol] with a handset (blackberry). [[Well aside from that I've been meaning to get my own blackberry anyway]].

Anyhow we have read some reviews and looked into it - it appears that people used to claim blackberry's e-mail methods are great and has 'real-push'. This was the main point raised in comparison to the IPhone. Actually that and the fact that the blackberry has a flashing light which indicates (even when on stand-by mode) that a message has come through and the colour of the light can indicate who sent the message.

Are these two the sole main points people go for BlackBerrys over other smart phones or what?

B.Hope

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally I wouldn't bother with a blackberry if I were you, the only real advantage of having a blackberry is that the battery lasts longer. push email isn't essential just get your iphone to poll every 5-10 minutes or so for emails, I can watch an email being delivered to my gmail account and my android phone and tablet start beeping and vibrating seconds later so I'm sure an iphone isn't much different. The other good thing about blackberrys is the remote wipe feature but install the pray app or similar on your device and you have practically the same function and you can also track with there handset is from a website using its GPS.

Plus at the moment RIM are on shakey grounds whilst not likely to go under overnight with the recent failures and security breaches RIM maybe about to shrink in size.

In short a few years ago I would have advocated blackberrys religously but now smartphones have caught up and overtaken in features I'm not so bothered by them and wouldn't go out of my way to get one.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Only reason why I keep the BB is battery life, I can get a good 2 days out of it and I'd class myself as a heavy user email, twitter, phone, bbm etc imo I think both BB and Apple are cack when it comes to phones as neither seem to just do all the basics first and then chuck on the crap that most people don't need

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The iPhone is fine for push email. I suppory Blackberry and iPhone devices and TBH Blackberry creates more support calls, this is when the BB does not recieve any email and its a battery out effort and then restart the device.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I also support iPhone and Blackberry (and android and any other phone with a power button too).

For technical support, Blackberrys outweigh iPhone by about... 10:1 day in day out in my experience. Whether the handset has frozen, developed a hardware fault etc or reloading the OS on the device.

I'd steer clear of RIM until they've sorted themselves out - or gone under.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
    Sparky likes this.
  7. B.HopeZion

B.HopeZion Bit Poster

Thanks for the insight guys - have heard of things I never heard of before - all those BB advocates never told me about all the freexing and restarts I'd be facing.

I'm still somewhat inclined towards a blackberry though I guess that's more of personal desire rather than logical thought-process.

As for the IPhone: I've tried put the e-mail onto push but it's not giving me that option for my gmail account - it's on a 15min Fetch. As for the Hotmail account it says push but earlier today I received the e-mail at least 10 mins later on my phone than I did on the Computer.

B.Hope

8. gayedsron

gayedsron New Member

The iPhone is fine for boost e-mail. I suppory Blackberry and iPhone means and TBH Blackberry cause more relieve appeals, this is when the BB does not recieve any e-mail and its a battery out try and then restart the application.

9. B.HopeZion

B.HopeZion Bit Poster

Hey Guys,

Just a quick update - I got a BB (bold) and it does the e-mails better (straight through) than the iphone and the LED trick on the iphone does work but nothing compared to the BB as the Iphone flashes only at the time of calling or messages.

Thanks for the replies.

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I support Blackberry via BES Express and whilst I hate the Blackberries as a "Smartphone" in the corporate side of things, with BES Express, IMHO they can not be beaten. They are what is known as Ronseal, they do exactly what is said on the tin.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Also have both in our company and both create their fair share of problems, but a lot is user issues. Blackberrys are great as email devices but that is it, iPhones are good emails and also more. We use to use an app called good mobile, but now use air watch.

All depends on what size of organisation you need, if it is just 2 of you then you will just use the mail settings to setup.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP