Blackberry Enterprise Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by hippy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Got one of these at work. I currently set up the blackberrys for people at work to work with BES. It is linked into Lotus Domino. I was thinking it would be a good idea to learn BES some more as alot of jobs appear to want BES experience. What would you expect say a 2nd Line Support (or about here) to be able to do in BES?

Thanks,

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How many handsets do you support mate? This can influence the size of your BES infrastructure.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Not sure without checking the BES but about 30 or more.

4. Sparky

I support a few BES environments however I don’t think there is enough blackberries connected to generate enough problems\maintenance of BES for me.

Basically I just patch the servers and resend a service book now and again. The customers didn’t want the blackberries locked down or anything like that. Most of the questions I get are from when I hand over the handsets and are generally about email\contact sync with Outlook.

You should know how to install BES from scratch as well, I have done this on Exchange and Domino.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

We have BES server at work as well and well over 120 handsets with Exchange server for e-mails etc. I am responsible for setting up the handsets and connecting the user account to the bes server and activating the password.

To be honest the only issues tend be with I can receive e-mails but can't reply to the e-mail which is a permissions issue. The permissions issue is then resolved by granting the user the "Send As" permission under ADUC, security's tab.

It's sure useful to have BES experience on your CV for a 2nd maybe even 3rd line support. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Sparky

Thought you just had to grant the besadmin account 'send as' permissions to the whole Exchange DB?

7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I administer BES 4.1 with about 105 users. It is one of the most reliable systems we run. Normal tasks include building handsets, new activations, synchronisation issues, server patching, security policy setup and maintenance, permissions in Blackberry Manager. The service desk deal with password resets and most re-activations, anything else comes to second line.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! was trying to give a short cut answer:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I also administraer BES 4.1. We don't really have any issues as it is a reliable product, most things are password resets and re-activations.

The policies have been in place for along time and have not been changed for a number of years.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Yer, thats the trouble with BES at work...

Make Lotus user in domino, go to server running bes, add user to list, load up webpage for activation on pc, enter user details, flatten blackberry and update software, add the user... the end until they swap it for a new one.

Never had to do a password reset for the blackberry... Will double check sync with outlook (viva lotus connector). The BES server has never gone wrong, although i do know the IT policy (?) has not been set up and applied.

11. Sparky

Could always try and setup wireless activation. 8)

12. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

I noticed some of our blackberries do not have wireless. I think ive activated one before wirelessly. Was thinking how well updating the software would go over wireless.

13. NightWalker

Wireless in the case of Blackberrys is the wireless cellular network as opposed to 802.11 wireless networks. You can activate and update/push software and drivers to handsets via the mobile cell network.

14. Sparky

Yeah, thats what I was talking about.

Handy to have that setup just incase a user needs to reset the blackberry when they are not in the office.

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen

Never understood why people piss about activating using the Desktop Manager, or activating by any other method than using wireless activation. When I first started at my new place I took over managing BES, and found out that no-one had shown the support guys how to use wireless activation - they were installing the Desktop Manager on every BB user's PC/laptop despite 90% of them never using it just so they could activate the device!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. NightWalker

We don't give our users Desktop Manager, everything is done over the wireless. The only time a handset gets physically connected to a PC is when it gets a nuke and rebuild.

17. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Didn't even know you could do it any other way than wireless!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  18. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

I think the BEs set up at work is like a Happy Meal....

Got mixed up with wireless activiation sparky as some of our blackberries have 802.11 and Cellular. I better look at the wireless activation then!!!

Just so i dont get my wires crossed, when you say wireless activate do you mean also assigning the user at the same time? At the moment when i get blackberry i usb it to my PC, log in to the webpage hosted by BES as the user so it assigns the blackberry to them, flatten it/ upgrade software (by sticking it in common files on the server) and let it activate.

19. Sparky

Yeah, basically you just have to type in the users email address and activation code (generated in BES).

20. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Had a quick look at BES today when i had 5 mins spare. Noticed the Blackberry Manager -> server -> users -> services -> enterprise activation password. Did not have time to test it, but im guessing like what you lot said earlier the BES will email the user with their Activation password (time limited) and they just go somewhere in the blackberry device for enterprise activation.