Bl00dy tarballs and RPMs

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Leehaa, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Why is it so bl00dy hard to install software in Linux?

GRRRRRRRRH!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Doh - it would make sense to have the correct permissions on the directory that you are trying to 'make' from.

Maybe Linux ain't so bad...:oops:

3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I do have a copy of linux kicking around, it hides in my desk and haunts my nightmares... :blink

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I must admit, I had a brief run in with Linex, and I wasnt a fan to say the least!!

Im sure its good if you know what your doing, but I didnt haha. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

it would help to say what you trying to install and on what distro.... thats why ubuntu is a good distro IMO their installation of packages has got easier for people starting out and they use the debian apt system which is good in it own right as well.. here is a hint.. if you trying to install something try google the application name along with the distro you trying and there is often help out there and eventually you will get the help you need.

8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Put as much time into Linux as you did into studying windows and in no time you'll be a whiz:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cheers for the comments. Isn't it frustrating?!

I managed to sort it in the end. I had an XDMCP session open (where Root was disabled - as it should really be) and I had downloaded the software before su to root, so it was just complaining about the permissions...but when you've spent a couple of days configuring the damn thing and nothing is straight-forward (you are researching to understand your research) it is easier to get a bit short tempered!

Linux is extremely frustrating, but also really rewarding when you get things working 8). I find it's also helping me learn things about networking that I never really found out about in a mainly Windows environment...

Will be swearing again tomorrow lol, but things are deffo starting to get more familiar! :D