Bizarre Remote Desktop question ...?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jakamoko, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Jak, how do you connect to the internet and what other machines are involved? Do you log on to a domain controller or is it stand alone. Do you have an internal DNS server? or Proxy?

Just wondering whether your DNS query was cached somewhere on another machine on your LAN?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

No Pete - straight dial-up. No DCs, no DNS here. Certainly not cached on my PC if it was clean. Only thing would be if my daughter's PC was somehow holding a record...but it was only one of the 7 IPs I used to RDP that was an option - I checked for the rest, butnone were there, and yet I still had to enter her PC name afresh !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Jak, what medium did you install from, was it an original CD?

Just thinking that something like this could happen if you imaged your drive using Ghost but from your description I doubt it.

Also, I presume you didn't use the "Save your Settings wizard" :biggrin

4. MILLWALLFC

MILLWALLFC Bit Poster

Could this information still have been in the RAM and saved to your pc after the reinstall. ?

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I didn't think information remained in RAM after a computer is powered down...something Gav would have had to do to switch HDDs.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No the contents of RAM is constantly changing, with info being swapped out to the virtual memory (page file) as apps are opened etc. All info is lost however when switched off! Unless you put the machine into hibernation, then I believe the contents are saved to the HDD. So, it wasn't stored in RAM or the HDD, it couldn't be stored in the CMOS, so it only leaves two things.

1) The IP address was somehow pulled from an external source

2) Jakamoko has lost the plot :eek:

7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

You could be on to somethin there mate, I'm not sure he ever "had" it to lose. [​IMG][​IMG]

Joke mate[​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I think number two is the more appropriate answer here :)
    RDP whilst being superior to other remote desktop protocols, is still rather rudimentary, and the program that primarily uses it is rather basic too
    it doesn't do anything clever, it doesnt pull any names in, it maintains a history of recently opened machines, but the Default.rdp file contains only the settings for the last accessed I believe, you can ofcourse save the settings to files such as server1.rdp, server2.rdp etc, default.rdp should only contain information for the last sucessful connection though

the drop down menu is dynamic recently accessed list and i have no idea just where they crop up, may be worth doing a registry scan for the IPs and see if they appear in a registry key somewhere (much like 'recent files' do

Jak has most certainly, lost the plot!
    nothing clever going on here folks :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

ok check here

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default

there should be some values
    MRU0 REG_SZ DaughtersPC
    MRU1 REG_SZ WorkPC1
    MRU2 REG_SZ OtherServers

or something like that
    I only had MRU0
    but sure enough after adding MRU1 i get another option in my 'saved cache' of addresses in the pull down menu

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys - plot was indeed lost and is now restored - time for me to 'fess up :oops:

After thinking even more about this this morning, it seems I was a tad erroneous regarding sequence of events..

To all you eagle-eyed Guys who suggested an old .rdp file in my backed-up My Docs (on the other PC) - well done, that was indeed the case. What I now realise I did was connect to the network share first of all on my daughter's PC to reload my files, which did indeed bring over the old .rdp. It was only later that I RDP'd her machine in order to make some tweaks and adjustments, etc, that the old server address appeared, naturally.

So I apologise fore wasting all of your time - but I'd rather hold my hands up than let this thread slip away quietly .....:oops:

Thanks Guys !!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

think you solved that one Bluerinse ;)

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well done, Pete. Good job. No worries, Gav. It had us all scratching our heads for awhile. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Yup, we just love a good mystery round here. [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada