Bit Torrent

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Jul 27, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Who here uses it? I want to know how can I download stuff from here without other people downloading it from me at the same time? I was in the middle of downloading something last nite and I had to leave my PC on overnight to let it download but when I woke up this morning it had only downloaded 20% and was still downloading and at the same time someone else was downloading it from me :x I would like to know if there is anywhere else other than Kazaa and bit Torrent and Imesh and WinMX to download things especially good DVD quality movies. will I get in trouble for making this post? :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Asking for ways to limit outgoing traffic is acceptable within the forums but when it comes to asking for help with the downloading of warez, MP3's and similar activities we cannot allow this kind of content. Please make sure you understand the Rules & Guidelines and the User agreement that you accepted when you registered for the site. Failure to comply will result in your posts becoming moderated before appearing in the public forums.

I have used a app called netlimiter to restrict outgoing traffic when using bit torrent. That did the job for me, not sure of a URL though but a quick goggle should give you the results.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. adam_wood1234

adam_wood1234 Bit Poster

It can depend what Bit Torrent Client you are using, I would recommend Bit Tornado. It is also a good idea to change the port settings on which it is running, the authorities generally monitor the default port settings that bit torrent runs on to ensure that copyright material is not being downloaded, this can cause very slow download times. If you change the port settings then you should see an increase in download speed. If behind a router make sure to open the ports on the firewall as well.

WIP: A+ & Network +
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Noel Bit torrent works on a principle of downloading whilst sharing. It's on ratios you cannot stop people from downloading from you whilst you download thats how bit torrent works. If you limit uploading speeds your downloading speeds are reduced. Uploading doesn't affect downloading speeds as they are seperate bandwidths. With bit torrent you will find that speeds start slow and speed up as more people join the torrent. Even with this downloading takes ages expect to take a day or two to download 1 gig of data for example.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I already posted on this issue in the Linux forum here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys...and sorry again Si...

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you shouldnt be using Bittorrent if thats your attitude towards sharing, infact you shouldnt be using ANY peer 2 peer if thats your attitude to sharing, it undermines the entire system

Try Azureus (sp?) its a java based client so can be kinda slow on windows machines, but you can cap up and down speeds

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I aint saying I dont wanna share files...at the moment I just cant leave my PC on 24/7 in order for others to download stuff from my PC. so in time I will be sharing files just not right now. and I wana make sure that the files I get are of good quality and if they are then yes I will share them. blimey I hope I didnt hit a nerve..sorry mate.

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I cant be bothered to download anything from Bit Torrent. to start off with it takes ages to download (like a day or two) then when you get it downloaded the quality or the program is not what you wanted so you either grin and bear it or you just get rid of it and quite frankly I would rather stick to just downloading music as I love music loads and I dont have the patience to wait for bigger bigger files. maybe one day when they finally allow us to watch movies over the internet rather than go to the cinema then I'll think about it.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Bit torrent is a means of distribution and has no effect on the quality of the file you recieved, time taken depends on the popularity of the 'seed' as it is termed
    for instance i downloaded the Fedora Core 2 2GB image files in about 3 hours
    try get the Fedora Core 1 image files now and it will take longer

the quality is only effected by the file anyway, so weather its from kazaa, winmx, bit torrent or ftp, the quality remains the same

i have noticed much dvd quality material distributed through the bit torrent network along with high quality audio and perfect iso images of CDs (legally distributed)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Bit Torrent is great. Noel, you don't have to leave your computer on 24/7. Just leave your torrent up for 2 or 3 hours after you've finished download is adequate.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

in the last month I have been using Bit Tornado and it works a treat, I have been downloading to my hearts content :D so I would like to say thanks to all that helped me (not that you did much) and the sharing is no longer a problem as I now have the power to reduce the upload speeds...woohoo bring on the Branston!!

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

WTF. How f*%king ungrateful can you get? These guys have done nothing but help and you turn around and say this. What do they have to do to classify as helping then?

How about reading the help files to find out how to use the programs properly. Thats what they're there for, and then if it's not clear, ask away.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

nugget will you please chill I was only joking...cant believe you took that seriously...have you noticed how its only you who has replied and said that? if that was a serious thing I said I am sure everyone would have been on my back now...but I didnt mean any of it...at all...so nugget mate you have got the wrong end of the stick...and if you read most my posts you will see that I have said thanks for the help I have received from everyone...no matter how big or small, or stupid the problem was. clearly you dont read many of them (only joking!)

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Have a look HERE before next time, NoelG :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

still the same old noell hey :D

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
    WIP: MCSE
  17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks very much Jak...thats just what I needed...:D