Bit of advise on if this is the correct cert for me

Discussion in 'A+' started by Cassius, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Hi

Iv been messing around with the inside of PCs since I was about 12(currently 26) so know my way around a PC and basic networking, iv had limited exposure to Active Directory and such and have been doing tech support at a software company for almost 4 years now.

Thing is whilst my current job is alright what id really like to do is more hardware and network based tech support rather than supporting a bit of proprietary software as whilst I do get to touch on this anything that requires getting your teeth into it is passed over to the clients IT team.

With this in mind iv been looking at A+ because at the moment I have nothing proving my knowledge of PCs and because iv just been self teaching myself stuff over the years based on what I need I know some stuff really well but have glaring holes elsewhere in bits I dont personally use (e.g I imagine I will know most of the PC components stuff but I have never owned or worked on a laptop in great detail).

So given my current position would you guys recommend the A+ cert to me?

Also if I did go through it what is the best study method? Solo study using stuff like the Messer videos and Meyers book or alternatively Skillsoft have left me a message offering the course for £240?

Thanks for your help

Mike

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

A+ is defintely the way to go, I've been an IT techie for 3 years but the A+ still throws curve-balls in areas where you might take for granted since you didn't experience it in the past.

With your knowledge and experience, it shouldn't take long to do - but it will give you the fundamentals where you might not know.

In regards to cost, the book is cheaper, but the course is faster. If you're planning any MS courses in the near future, will you want to be paying more when you could easily learn the A+ in your own time.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Definitely take the self-study path for the A+ :D Save that £ 240 to cover the exams...

A good month going through the Mike Meyers book and you should be ready.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Thanks for the advise guys.

Is there any limit to how long after the Essentials Exam that you take the Practical Applications Exam as im guessing it is best to study for Essentials then move onto Practical Application immediately after?

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I'm not sure if there is a time limit as such.

Most of the exam books cover both topics as they always over lap. As such, most people book exams very close together. Several have even booked them the same day.

For a basic example: in Mike Myers All-In-One Book, he explains the theory of RAM, then shows you the practical element in fitting it into a machine.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

As Boffy said, if you study for one, you study for the other anyway.

I took both exams the same day and found the content pretty similar actually.
    It's more about the style of question and how to approch it.

If I didn't know which exams I was sitting, I wouldn't have been 100% which one was which to be honest.

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA