Bit of advice - MCITP or MCDST

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sjedwardz, Feb 16, 2011.

1. sjedwardz

sjedwardz New Member

Hello - I used to work in IT about 9 years ago and am looking at moving back into it after running my own company but find the whole area very daunting!

My degree is in computing science and I've always been pretty techy. I started working for Oracle as a consultant/developer and gradually moved into pre-sales support. Then a move to Sybase and marketing and then to a small startup company selling web content management as a sales exec.

I appreciate that 9 years is quite a long time in IT - a bit like doggy years And am aware that I will have to re-train and come in at a different level. But I'm willing to do this. Plus I have quite a few skills acquired whilst running my own company - its just me so have had to do ALL of the work, sales, marketing and making tea so I'm not precious but I'm sure these skills will be of use.

After research and speaking to various people I have narrowed it down to MCDST or MCITP.

Which would you suggest to take bearing in mind what sort of job I could expect to move to afterwards?

I don't want to end up being over certified with no on the job experience. I am a little bit concerned that MCDST is going to be retired in June so I would need to get my skates on.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Shaun

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcdst.aspx

These two exams are needed to get the MCDST which cover Windows XP

70-271
    70-272

and then if you take the 70-682 exam you will get the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.

These are regarded as entry level certs and would be a good place to start.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP