Bit of advice. Getting into networking...

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by dave_gray2077, May 1, 2009.

1. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

I’m currently doing a Degree in computing (in 3rd year now) and this includes a Routing/Telecoms module. With this comes a free shot at CCNA which I was going to take with it being in with the job lot.. I’m thinking of nothing to lose kinds thing as its free.

The only problem is will this gimp my job prospects as I don’t have any experience to back it up. Do you think its worth delaying this qualification? Iv read a few posts that seem to suggest that this qualification will not help you without vast experience to back it up on very large networks.

I also work full time at a call centre (im just 1st line phone support but it is IT related) but we only have like 1500’s ish hosts on our network so its nothing like the 500 node network that a lot of employers seem to expects any network technician to be familiar with. So I’m not sure if even voluntary work here would help me.

On the other hand I don’t want to be back tracking after doing a degree to do stuff like N+ if it can be helped.

Also just to add providing I pass then degree I will be going onto my masters which includes a free shot as CCNP. But I don’t realy want to be CCNP in 2 years time with zero experience as I assume Ill end up locking my self out of basic IT jobs unless I omit things on CV’s etc.

Do you dudes have any suggestions. Or tips for getting into networking? I under stand that a job rigth into netwoprking will be slim to none even with a degree backing up CCNA without attached experiance.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA, Fd Degree, BSC (hon).
    WIP: MCDST
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi mate, your absolutely right about Certs not looking right without the relevant experience. In your case however I think you can talk your way out of it when applying for a junior or trainee Network analyst position.
    Like you say, its normally the case that if you go into an interview with no experience but an MCSE and CCNP, they think, hang on somethings not right here. The fact that you are doing a Computing degree however will mean that you will learn things that are at the higher levels when it comes to Certs i.e. TCP/IP, routing, L2TP etc. So on that basis, when applying for jobs if I were quizzed as to why I have such a high level cert as a CCNA, I'd explain that my degree overlapped so much with the Cisco content that Uni encouraged me to pass the exam.
    The last Trainee Network Analyst position in our place stated CCNA an advantage so I'm sure you'll be OK.
    Cheers
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Get the CCNA, having it alongside a relevant degree is fine. It's people who spend thousands of pounds getting them via training companies - without a degree or any experience - who are shooting themselves in the foot, not you.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013