Bit gutted

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jul 21, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Some of you may of known that for a while i have been waiting for my work experience placement to start, which starts Monday 25th. This is all hands on stuff, and i know it will be valuable as i try and get a job.

I was told about another placement, which i went for and i was impressed by the company and even went for a formal chat with them. I was there about 40 minutes and they gave the impression that they wanted to get someone in straight away, which i had to tell them about the set up ive got starting on Monday, which is for 6 weeks, they then said, well wed want someone a bit sooner than that.

Now not wanting to look unprofessional here, i said well what i could do is cut it down to 4 weeks and then come here which they said wed have to have a think about that. However i was told this morning that it was because i couldn't start straight away, on the 25th, that i wasnt going to be offered the placement, which is also voluntary.

Im waiting for the bloke to ring back, best i can do from here is say if you don't get anyone in (long shot) then when im finished at the first placement, try me again.

Still pissed off though

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sometimes they need someone ASAP. At this new place I started, they needed me to start ASAP as well but I had to give in my two weeks notice so they had to wait... But yes, sometimes it's being at the right place at the right time makes the world of a difference.

Don't worry about it though, You'll have plenty of opportunities even if you don't get this particular placement.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. zxspectrum

Yes, hopefully, they wont find anyone, and in 6 weeks time when i finish the first one, i can see what goes with them, tho the chances of that will be unlikely.

However, i think the fact that i didnt say to them , well i can just forget about the placement thats already organised, and come to work for them, may show me in good character.

Ed

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Honestly I know what you're feeling, I've been there myself. What you have to tell yourself is that this happened for a reason and that if you did not get the job, you weren't meant to do it. It's a tough feeling and I know it can feel like you've lost, but you did not. You will be getting great experience soon and there's only going up from there.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Llew

Llew Bit Poster

Sorry to hear your news , but at least they didn't make an issue of anything like your personal aptitude and/or breadth of knowledge etc, I am rooting for you m8 don't get knocked back by this.
    I have had no luck getting a placement for the summer, and predictably have started to climb the walls, however, I am enrolling in a p/t 26 wk EDEXCEL BTEC lvl2, european social funded, in Sept, which guarantees you a work placement, with the southern regional college, N.I.
    I'd love to have the chance to even volunteer at the moment, but am being cited 'insurance' reasons by the education ppl.
    Well done for getting these offers, hopefully v soon you will be happily occupied gaining experience
    best of luck zx
    regards
    Llew

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: self learning until college starts, networks, basic COMPTIA elements, basic web design
  6. zxspectrum

Well ive just spoken to the bloke from there, and that is the only problem, the start date. However he did say that if they dont find anyone who is suitable then they would give me a ring. Hopefully it will all work out in my favour

Ed