Bios Flash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Feb 4, 2007.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hey dudes,

Motherboard: Asus P5nd2 - SLI

Is flashing the bios an easy task? I am looking to flash mine as I believe I have to in order to get my mobo support for core 2 duo.
    I currently have pentium D 935 but I tried an Intel E6400 at the weekend and although system ran I had no video output and weird things like reset button stopped working.

Also I checked the Asus website and the flash instructions all refer to floppy drive, can you use an optical drive instead? I have no floppy installed but could get one.

Thanks for any input

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i havent ever flashed with an optical so im not going to answer if you can or not sorry! I have done a few mobo upgrades but i have to admit when i first did it i wasnt a happy chappy.. didnt feel like making a mobo useless so i had someone come round and help me! But we all go to do it sometime. The good thing is they are properly instructed and documents should exist so i think you will be fine.

is this the mobo in question?

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=227&model=558&modelmenu=1

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive only ever used a floppy drive aswell. Its a straightforward process. Just make sure ya read the instructions a few times, use the right flash, and hope ya dont get a power surge during flash (i use a UPS for this)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Yeah thats the motherboard I have, like I say it runs my dual core Pentium D 935 no problem but the new core 2 duo would not work.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

For somebody with your qualifications it should be a piece of cake.

However, things can go wrong, floppies are not the most reliable media under the sun, it's possible to flash the BIOS with a file the board manufacturer doesn't support. So make sure that the file you download is not corrupt, make sure the floppy itself is reliable (many aren't) and the drive you borrow - make sure the file is supplied by the MOBO manufacturer specifically for the board and BIOS you are wanting to flash. Do not under any circumstances switch off or re-boot the system once the flash process has started.

These days most MOBO manufacturers have a utility which can download the file and be run from within a windows environment, check their web site for such a utility as IMHO that would be safer than the floppy method.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My most recent flash was using a USB key on an ASUS mobo. Piece of cake.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That's assuming the MOBO supports USB Boot in the Bios.

If it doesn't then you have to rely on the Floppy:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Last time i did mine was from within windows (as specified by bluerinse). Downloaded file from manufacturers website.... Opened flash software, it ran through perfectly.

This in my opinion is the easiest way there is. seens as now days floppy drives dont usually come supplied with pc's..... Why?? Because there pants!

:D

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  9. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I've only ever had 1 bios flash go wrong on me but I still hate flashing a bios these days unless I really, really have to.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA