Biometrics

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by kat731, Aug 8, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    was just looking around the various Laptop deals, just being nosey really. Anyway, what do you all think of this fingerprint security stuff. Saw an IBM Thinkpad with it on... All sorts of things spring into my mind with regard to this. How secure will it be, im sure people will find a way round it, human nature being what it is.... Also for technicians like me, will it be easy to disable when in for repair, or will i have to chop one of my customers fingers off when i take the machine away!!!! Lol..:rolleyes: Its interesting to me, as i think there will be all sorts of questions and answers on this one!!!
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I have a compaq fingerprint scanner on my PC, but since my last format I never installed the drivers for it

whilst its generally pretty secure
    it can be a bit of a pain, as remote desktop and vnc connections still require the fingerprint, (if my machine is locked, which it always is, although this can be disabled)

and ofcourse, a determined cracker can generally extract the fingerprint last used with a bit of superglue and a few gummi bears :)

Works for most things though, and keeps the kids out of your 'image archive' lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Probably more trouble than it's worth if you are just talking about your personal machine. If you worked with highly sensitive material at work, I could see the advange. BTW Phoenix, just what *do* you have in your "image archive"? :blink :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Yeh Phoenix!!!!!!!!!!

Whats in there??????????????????????????/:eek:

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884