Binding a Mac to Active Directory

Discussion in 'Networks' started by simongrahamuk, Nov 5, 2008.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does anyone know how to bind a Mac to Active Directory so that you can loging using an AD user account? Yes? good then perhaps you could tell me how to make that binding remain inplace so that when I reboot the Mac I can again log in with the AD user account without first having to log in and then out again using a local account?

When I go into the directory utility I can see that the binding remains in place however I simply cannot get the 'other' usr to show up on the login screen until I have logged in with a local account first.

Its OS X 10.5 BTW.

2. fofusion

fofusion Bit Poster

It's been a while since I've done it but from what I remember you go into Applications > Utilities and open Directory Utility.

You'll need to press the padlock and enter your admin password to allow you to make changes.

Then you click the plus icon and go from there. (that's where my memory of it starts to fade unfortunately).

Let me know if that works.

Barry

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, thats what you do, however when you restart the Mac you can no longer login with the AD User Account.

4. fofusion

fofusion Bit Poster

Oh I misunderstood your problem.

I remember having a problem like that but I cant remember how I fixed it.

I was looking at a tutorial from Lynda.com for OS X server so if you could get your hands on that I'm sure it'd help you.

Barry

5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Long shot, but within Directory Utility, under Search Policy, is Active Directory set as your first place to look for user authentication? It isn't on my Macbook, but still logs onto the domain OK. That said, I normally log on locally, and only log onto the domain sometimes, never from a cold boot. I can check tomorrow at work how our Macs are set up if you like.

Also, I don't know if this site woud provide you with any pointers.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  6. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Pop next door to EG ... I am sure DMcCoy had the same problem and found a fix for it. Are you purely using the OSX client or do you have OSX Server and using OD too? Workgroup Manager?

Do you have the time server set to the DC (forest root preferably)?
    Are you using the DCs for DNS?
    Did you bind it to the domain or to a preferred DC?

7. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Seems I'm just an idiot!

If I wait at the login screen for a couple of minutes the 'Other' User shows up.

Must be busy doing the binding in the background.