Bill Gates: how a geek changed the world

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 19, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would ask him: Since you give most of your cash away, how about giving me some? :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

With his money, he could wipe out poverty in the third world countries. I know if that I had that much money, I would do it!

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

XP works well, but you need to be ahead of the users in IT. You need to get some hands on with as much stuff as you can.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

So, Johnny, if I cheat you in the name of "business" it's OK, but if I cheat you as another human being it's not? Give me a break. That idea is a raft of crap.

There seems to be a real dichotomy about this. Everyone is against people braindumping because it's cheating. It's dishonest. However, everyone defends dishonest business practices because it's "business". I say there is no difference. It's not some faceless entity making decisions to practice business in a manner that hurts others. It's real live human beings making very questionable ethical decisions. To excuse them on this level is simply saying dishonesty, ruthlessness, not giving a riip about your fellow man is OK.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. greenbrucelee

Dont worry when I build my new system it is going to dual boot xp and vista :D

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Only if you agree that what they did was dishonest

I am big vendor, I have relationship with vendor b
    I say if you put vendor Cs product on yours, you cant have mine

oh my god really? exclusivity? I've never heard of such a thing!
    abuse of power? I think not

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. ffreeloader

Just because something is done, doesn't mean it's right or ethical. Right and wrong do not change just because the majority is unethical. Unethical behavior is unethical behavior even if "everybody" does it.

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No Freddy.

If I play you at a game of poker, or chess, or whatever, I expect you to do whatever it takes to win.
    Short of cheating??
    Probably, but who monitors cheating in a friendly chess game?

Sorry, get with the plot.
    I do business with a lot of contactors, OK, even the contract cleaners.

If I tell one that I've had a cheaper quote, they need to beat it.
    There are ways and means, but that's BUSINESS!

If they gun him down on his driveway to get the contract - maybe a bit OTT, but I don't think Gates did that either...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. ffreeloader

So business then isn't a part of anyone's life? If you cheat them in business it's not cheating them in life? I really don't get where you get your supposed differentiation from. Business is how people get money to so they can live and support their families. For many small businessmen it is their life. They live for their business. They love what they do. Take their business away and it destroys all other aspects their life at the same time.

It's all is fair in war is it? So business is about war and crushing other people to survive? If so, then that type of businessman has lost his humanity. He's in the same frame of mind as the Nazi's of WWII. They could destroy Jews during the day and go home and be great husbands and fathers to their family. IOW's there was such a dichotomy in their thinking that they could see nothing wrong with what they did. The businessman that destroys another human being's business just so he can grow bigger is no different in principle. He sees nothing wrong with destroying another human being's life. Maybe he doesn't take their actual life, but what he does is even crueler. He destroys what the other person loves and leaves him to live his life with that result and walks off saying" well, that's business. I didn't do anything wrong". I call BS on that.

10. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

First, you can hate him all you want, but he's not the only decision maker in that company. In fact, his role, depending on his assets, my be much lower than we think. You think that phalanx of lawyers operate at his discretion alone??? Please. Second, ever think of the companies that couldn't market their product successfully, and benefited from a Microsoft buyout? I'd say that happens far more than the 'forced takeovers' or 'stolen intellectual property' that is often finger-pointed. Besides, the truth of such unethical situations may only appear unethical to those on one side, right? Do we always accept that the victim is truthful? I'll call BS on that.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ah, I see it's time to invoke Godwin's Law.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I assume you aren't being sarcastic? That's exactly what he and his wife are currently doing. Giving away the vast majority of their wealth to aid developing nations and specifically children.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sounds to me like you just described capitalism, not Microsoft.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. greenbrucelee

The thing is However much he gives away it wont stop it because of the people that run these countries will take their slice and not use it for its intended pupose.

Third world poverty will always exist because of that.

Although I do admire the guy for trying.

15. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

LoL, will need to remember that :D

WIP: LIFE
  16. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

No I wasn't being sarcastic, but I didn't know that anything remotely like the Gates Foundation existed! :ohmy

Well, I'll look at them in a different light now.. :biggrin

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing